The Hate On Apple Thread

speedyink

VIP Member
I just upgraded my HTPC to Ubuntu 10.10 last night. Only got about 20 minutes of playing with it so far, but the new interface face lift is nice. Smooth, fast and responsive and it looks good. Reminds me of a Mac to be honest. You may want to give the new Ubuntu a try in a virtual machine or something.

What exactly are you looking for on closing laptop lid options? Like keep the wifi on if you close the lid?

Ill have to try it. Last one I tried was 9. Something. The option I want is the computer to not go to sleep when I close the lid. This conflicts with how I transport the things around. Or when I wanna save some battery when downloading or something.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ill have to try it. Last one I tried was 9. Something. The option I want the the computer to not go to sleep when I close the lid. This conflicts with how I transport the things around. Or when I wanna save some battery when downloading something.

closing the lid and keeping it on is the same as putting the screen to sleep, otherwise all components work the same. Sort of a moot point unless you want it to be downloading things while in a backpack.

speedyink

VIP Member
closing the lid and keeping it on is the same as putting the screen to sleep, otherwise all components work the same. Sort of a moot point unless you want it to be downloading things while in a backpack.

Listening to music. The fact is, everything it is doing stops when it's in sleep mode. Otherwise, if I had the option, when you close the lid just the display turns off, which as we all know takes a significant amount of the battery. There's many instances in my use of the device that yes, I would love that option. I'm not sure why your telling me why I don't need it.

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

Sorry to bump this back up as we all know we have had many of these threads before.

I remember someone in this thread saying how apple user in general had a attitude of acting better than the rest, i have never expeirenced this first hand until now, and i know a good few mac users.

I was buying a salad with my gf and i'm like "look it's an ipad, the same thing my friend wants to get"

i said this quietly so as interrupt what he was doing and i clearly said Ipad.

his words to me with such condescension were

"it's a Ipad, not an Ipod" as if i insulted him directly, all i was trying to do was point out that tablet pc's in general are kind of cool.
so lucky i'm not drunk and start babbling about various in depth tech specs to just to see if they know anything because i like conversations about all aspects of tech (the has never happened btw, usually they know less than nothing)

i just say

"i know it is an ipad, i work in computing" and continue to talk about the rumors of Ipad2 release in feb-aprill of next year (which he knows nothing about).
this dude was such a _______ (insert expletive here) and as soon as i mentioned computing it's kind of like he realised that i would not call it an ipod and worked out he made a complete ass of himself just to try and look like he knows something.
sorry to rant, but people that act like this really annoy me, just thought i'd share it and also make him look like an idiot to everyone on here, lol.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Listening to music. The fact is, everything it is doing stops when it's in sleep mode. Otherwise, if I had the option, when you close the lid just the display turns off, which as we all know takes a significant amount of the battery. There's many instances in my use of the device that yes, I would love that option. I'm not sure why your telling me why I don't need it.

I just don't personally see any application for such technology I would really want to use. My iPod and smart phone play music and are way more accessible and easier to use than a closed lid laptop in my backpack.

This of course, is just like my opinion man...
[YT]QsogswrH6ck[/YT]

I mean if that is really a deal breaker feature for you, then that is OK. However, when I look at laptops I look at mobility. I don't really view it as a giant iPod. Plus if the drives are spinning while you are carrying it around it just increases your chances at drive failure. I mean there are good reasons it gets put to sleep and the HD stops spinning when you close the lid, because that is how you transport it.
innercx Sorry to bump this back up as we all know we have had many of these threads before.

I remember someone in this thread saying how apple user in general had a attitude of acting better than the rest, i have never expeirenced this first hand until now, and i know a good few mac users.

I was buying a salad with my gf and i'm like "look it's an ipad, the same thing my friend wants to get"

i said this quietly so as interrupt what he was doing and i clearly said Ipad.

his words to me with such condescension were

"it's a Ipad, not an Ipod" as if i insulted him directly, all i was trying to do was point out that tablet pc's in general are kind of cool.
so lucky i'm not drunk and start babbling about various in depth tech specs to just to see if they know anything because i like conversations about all aspects of tech (the has never happened btw, usually they know less than nothing)

i just say

"i know it is an ipad, i work in computing" and continue to talk about the rumors of Ipad2 release in feb-aprill of next year (which he knows nothing about).
this dude was such a _______ (insert expletive here) and as soon as i mentioned computing it's kind of like he realised that i would not call it an ipod and worked out he made a complete ass of himself just to try and look like he knows something.
sorry to rant, but people that act like this really annoy me, just thought i'd share it and also make him look like an idiot to everyone on here, lol.
Some people are just jerks and that is not the fault of Apple. That guy is probably the same way with everything. Cars, video games, clothes, etc.

It is called a Porsche (Porsha) not porsh, things like that etc.

awildgoose

It is called a Porsche (Porsha) not porsh, things like that etc.

This is kinda really off topic, but you are meant to pronounce Porsche as Porsha? I never knew that.

To keep it on topic.
I too do not see why you would have a laptop still working its bits while walking around, I tried that once (although not in the same way) and it didn't work, could be because of bumps or unlucky day.

The elitism by mac people, well I do not see it too much except from people who do not know much about the computers in the first place.
One of my friends, decent bloke, don't know jack, keeps telling me it has been a proven fact that windows runs on Mac better than a home built machine, I ask for proof he says his old laptop was really slow :cool:

I like Macs, don't see a problem with them, just do not tell him that:D.

Question Tlarkin, most (as in people I know and from CoFo) people don't know as much about them as you do except for "crap can't upgrade blah blah blah".
Where did you learn this?
Just wondering 'cus out business the software doesn't work on Macs (unless you run in windows mode but then what is the point) so I don't get too much experience with them.

tlarkin

VIP Member
This is kinda really off topic, but you are meant to pronounce Porsche as Porsha? I never knew that.

Yeah but only the elitist and car snobs really know that. Plus it is a German word not English so phonetically it may be harder for an English speaking person to pronounce properly. Even though English is a Germanic language.

The elitism by mac people, well I do not see it too much except from people who do not know much about the computers in the first place.
One of my friends, decent bloke, don't know jack, keeps telling me it has been a proven fact that windows runs on Mac better than a home built machine, I ask for proof he says his old laptop was really slow :cool:

It is the same thing as, oh wow Macs don't have DX11 video cards which game developers don't even write code for yet, therefore obsolete or not really just an invalid point. To my knowledge almost all video games are 32-bit apps, which means they cannot address anything larger than 4gigs of RAM, and they are almost always built off of last generation Direct X so they can hit a wider target audience. I am not saying having the latest video card won't boost your performance, but what I am saying is a lot of times it will be unnoticeable in real world application. Though you constantly see gamers wanting to build dream rigs with 8+ gigs of RAM and dual SLI/Xfire of the latest video cards. In all reality it is a waste of money as you can build something with less specs and perform almost on par in actual application.

Question Tlarkin, most (as in people I know and from CoFo) people don't know as much about them as you do except for "crap can't upgrade blah blah blah".
Where did you learn this?
Just wondering 'cus out business the software doesn't work on Macs (unless you run in windows mode but then what is the point) so I don't get too much experience with them.

Most of it from work, some from reading books, and a lot of it also from online communities of Mac users. Same thing with Linux. Just find a good online community, hop on a mailing list, join a forum, read a book, etc.

awildgoose

Yeah but only the elitist and car snobs really know that. Plus it is a German word not English so phonetically it may be harder for an English speaking person to pronounce properly. Even though English is a Germanic language.
For some reason I think I should of known that lol, I have car mags (not just ricer ones) filling up boxes in my room and I did not know that, well I knew it was german, just the pronunciation.

It is the same thing as, oh wow Macs don't have DX11 video cards which game developers don't even write code for yet, therefore obsolete or not really just an invalid point. To my knowledge almost all video games are 32-bit apps, which means they cannot address anything larger than 4gigs of RAM, and they are almost always built off of last generation Direct X so they can hit a wider target audience. I am not saying having the latest video card won't boost your performance, but what I am saying is a lot of times it will be unnoticeable in real world application. Though you constantly see gamers wanting to build dream rigs with 8+ gigs of RAM and dual SLI/Xfire of the latest video cards. In all reality it is a waste of money as you can build something with less specs and perform almost on par in actual application.
That is really true. I had built a computer for $400 (ok well maybe just components for that much) and ran games the same as a friends $godknowshowmuchmoney computer, mainly because of the 32-bit you were talking about, ok maybe a tiny bit slower but you know what I mean.
And the only 64 bit game I know of doesn't even run too well (Crysis has a 64bit choice).

Most of it from work, some from reading books, and a lot of it also from online communities of Mac users. Same thing with Linux. Just find a good online community, hop on a mailing list, join a forum, read a book, etc.
Ahh that makes sense, all the book stores around me don't have too much to do with computing and the newsagents (dunno if thats our word or an international one) has maybe 2 computers ones, all to do with cars and off-road lol.

About Macs, there are really only a handful of things I don't like as much about them. 1 I work on my case a lot, different mods and such(but that is not a global thing anyway). 2) I like tinkering and buying components (much like people and cars around the 80's, I don't have money for both so computers it is) to play with. and 3) the software we use doesn't work too great.

I reckon there are just as many things a Mac can do that a PC can't (well in the same way people say a Mac can't do what a windows PC can. Which there are some things but as you said previously that gap is becoming smaller).

speedyink

VIP Member
I just don't personally see any application for such technology I would really want to use. My iPod and smart phone play music and are way more accessible and easier to use than a closed lid laptop in my backpack.

This of course, is just like my opinion man...

I mean if that is really a deal breaker feature for you, then that is OK. However, when I look at laptops I look at mobility. I don't really view it as a giant iPod. Plus if the drives are spinning while you are carrying it around it just increases your chances at drive failure. I mean there are good reasons it gets put to sleep and the HD stops spinning when you close the lid, because that is how you transport it.

My phone and ipod don't have a 250gb+ storage capacity. I put the most regularly listened to music on those, which is fine for around town. But as someone who travels, I like to take my whole library with me. I'm still not sure where the backpack comes from..I have a 9" netbook that, when CLOSED, fits very nicely under my arm. I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to be throwing my computer around while it's on, I know what happens. I'm smart enough to put my computer in sleep mode when need be (say actually throwing it in the backpack), but I also like the option to not go to sleep. I'm not so lazy that I need my computer to do it every time I close the lid, in fact it's downright annoying sometimes. Yes, this is a dealbreaker for me, and no, i don't view my computers as oversized ipods, as I have regular sized ipods. My whole point is that OSX just chooses options like this for us, like we're not smart enough or like we'd never want the option in the first place. Just because you may not encounter it doesn't mean it doesn't piss me off greatly when I close the lid without thinking and boom, my computer stops dead in it's tracks to go to sleep, because someone thought "who needs an option when I am always right?"

That I can agree with. Maybe because I'm not huge into video games in the first place but it still blows my mind that people spend that kind of money on computers just to keep the graphics maxed out.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
My phone and ipod don't have a 250gb+ storage capacity. I put the most regularly listened to music on those, which is fine for around town. But as someone who travels, I like to take my whole library with me. I'm still not sure where the backpack comes from..I have a 9" netbook that, when CLOSED, fits very nicely under my arm. I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to be throwing my computer around while it's on, I know what happens. I'm smart enough to put my computer in sleep mode when need be (say actually throwing it in the backpack), but I also like the option to not go to sleep. I'm not so lazy that I need my computer to do it every time I close the lid, in fact it's downright annoying sometimes. Yes, this is a dealbreaker for me, and no, i don't view my computers as oversized ipods, as I have regular sized ipods. My whole point is that OSX just chooses options like this for us, like we're not smart enough or like we'd never want the option in the first place. Just because you may not encounter it doesn't mean it doesn't piss me off greatly when I close the lid without thinking and boom, my computer stops dead in it's tracks to go to sleep, because someone thought "who needs an option when I am always right?"

well no one is calling you stupid, I was just questioning the validity of the claim that you cannot do this with OS X and a Mac. I also was wanting to know application. For me, when I use my Macbook Pro it is on a table, desk, or my lap and I am using it. When I am not using it, it is in my backpack.

However, after a quick look via Google and some command lines I have some solutions for you. First and foremost, you actually can set your Mac laptop to remain awake when the lid is closed, via pmset. Which is a CLI binary to controls power management. Believe it or not, Windows has a command line binary for power management as well, but the name escapes me at the moment.

snip from the man page
Code:
PMSET(1)                  BSD General Commands Manual                 PMSET(1)

NAME
     pmset -- manipulate power management settings

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [displaysleep minutes] [disksleep minutes] [sleep minutes] [womp 1/0] [ring 1/0] [autorestart 1/0]
           [dps 1/0] [reduce 1/0] [powerbutton 1/0] [lidwake 1/0] [acwake 1/0] [lessbright 1/0] [halfdim 1/0] [sms 1/0] [boot]
     pmset -u [haltlevel percent] [haltafter minutes] [haltremain minutes]
     pmset -g [custom | live | cap | sched | ups | ps | pslog | rawlog]
     pmset schedule [cancel] type date+time [owner]
     pmset repeat cancel
     pmset repeat type weekdays time
     pmset [touch | sleepnow | noidle | lock]

Actual code to set the Mac laptop not to sleep when the lid is closed:
Code:
sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Now to check our work: (let me actually do this on a laptop...)
Code:
bash-3.2# pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power		-1
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
 sleep		10
 sms		1
 acwake		0
 displaysleep	10
 autorestart	0
 hibernatefile	/var/vm/sleepimage
 hibernatemode	3
 womp		1
 halfdim	1
 disksleep	10
 [COLOR="Red"]lidwake	0[/COLOR]
 ttyskeepawake	1

0 = off
1 = on

Disabling lid wake turns off both the put to sleep and wake function from opening and closing the lid. Alternatively there are several third party applications that give you this functionality if you prefer to do it through a GUI.

Apple keeps it simple and in their view most users won't need this feature and it may cause problems if they move around their laptop in their bag with a spinning HD. Like, is your grandma going to know that? How about someone who barely uses computers? While you may take disagreement with Apple's stance, their OS is very robust in what you can do to customize it. You just have to learn it. If you google search disable sleep when lid is closed on a Macbook you would have eventually found both solutions.

InsomniaX is the app I am talking about Google it and you will find it. So, even if it is a deal breaker you can still do it. Windows has man of the restrictions and customizations but you may be used to using the Windows GUI over the command line, or perhaps even the registry. However, I still think your actual preference is with Windows boxes, and that is cool too. Everyone has their own opinion.

:)

Last edited:

brian

VIP Member
well no one is calling you stupid, I was just questioning the validity of the claim that you cannot do this with OS X and a Mac. I also was wanting to know application. For me, when I use my Macbook Pro it is on a table, desk, or my lap and I am using it. When I am not using it, it is in my backpack.

However, after a quick look via Google and some command lines I have some solutions for you. First and foremost, you actually can set your Mac laptop to remain awake when the lid is closed, via pmset. Which is a CLI binary to controls power management. Believe it or not, Windows has a command line binary for power management as well, but the name escapes me at the moment.

snip from the man page
Code:

NAME

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [displaysleep minutes] [disksleep minutes] [sleep minutes] [womp 1/0] [ring 1/0] [autorestart 1/0]
           [dps 1/0] [reduce 1/0] [powerbutton 1/0] [lidwake 1/0] [acwake 1/0] [lessbright 1/0] [halfdim 1/0] [sms 1/0] [boot]
     pmset repeat cancel

Code:
sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Code:
bash-3.2# pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power		-1
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
 sleep		10
 sms		1
 acwake		0
 displaysleep	10
 autorestart	0
 hibernatemode	3
 womp		1
 halfdim	1
 disksleep	10
 ttyskeepawake	1

0 = off
1 = on

Disabling lid wake turns off both the put to sleep and wake function from opening and closing the lid. Alternatively there are several third party applications that give you this functionality if you prefer to do it through a GUI.

Apple keeps it simple and in their view most users won't need this feature and it may cause problems if they move around their laptop in their bag with a spinning HD. Like, is your grandma going to know that? How about someone who barely uses computers? While you may take disagreement with Apple's stance, their OS is very robust in what you can do to customize it. You just have to learn it. If you google search disable sleep when lid is closed on a Macbook you would have eventually found both solutions.

InsomniaX is the app I am talking about Google it and you will find it. So, even if it is a deal breaker you can still do it. Windows has man of the restrictions and customizations but you may be used to using the Windows GUI over the command line, or perhaps even the registry. However, I still think your actual preference is with Windows boxes, and that is cool too. Everyone has their own opinion.

Insomniax is a great application. Something every mac user should have IMHO

Thanatos

what i don't like about apple is that when i buy from them, it always seems like they are trying to cheat me of my money or something. Like with the ipod shuffle with the controls on the earphone cord. really? it broke in a week.

speedyink

VIP Member

snip from the man page
Code:

NAME

SYNOPSIS
     pmset repeat cancel

Code:
sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Code:
bash-3.2# pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power		-1
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
 sleep		10
 sms		1
 acwake		0
 displaysleep	10
 autorestart	0
 hibernatemode	3
 womp		1
 halfdim	1
 disksleep	10
 ttyskeepawake	1

0 = off
1 = on

Actually I've already googled it, found the app, though not the command stuff. I just never got around to downloading the app, and command lines aren't my thing. I think such a simple feature should be included, and not buried in command line, or waiting for a third party to make an application for it. I understand what your saying about people screwing up their hard drives, but don't all macbooks have SMS's? Also, leave it on as default like windows, save the tech challenged people, but don't stunt the more advanced users ability to change things. I really don't want to download an app or dive into command line whenever I want to change a somewhat advanced setting.

I know Windows isn't perfect either, I had to download a program to enable scroll on mouse hover, but this kinda kills a lot of the mac mindsets all the dick mac owners keep telling me (easiest to use, it just works etc.)

And your right, I prefer Windows. I have 3 macs and 3 Pc's, and yes, I prefer the pc's for my daily tasks. I have used PC's longer, I know how to get around faster, and I really can't find any benefits to why I would totally switch to mac.

I know you don't understand why I like having such functionality, nor will you ever. Kinda like how I will never understand why you prefer to change settings in command lines.

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

what i don't like about apple is that when i buy from them, it always seems like they are trying to cheat me of my money or something. Like with the ipod shuffle with the controls on the earphone cord. really? it broke in a week.
You know those come with a warranty, right? So, they aren't trying to cheat you out of money.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Actually I've already googled it, found the app, though not the command stuff. I just never got around to downloading the app, and command lines aren't my thing. I think such a simple feature should be included, and not buried in command line, or waiting for a third party to make an application for it. I understand what your saying about people screwing up their hard drives, but don't all macbooks have SMS's? Also, leave it on as default like windows, save the tech challenged people, but don't stunt the more advanced users ability to change things. I really don't want to download an app or dive into command line whenever I want to change a somewhat advanced setting.

I know Windows isn't perfect either, I had to download a program to enable scroll on mouse hover, but this kinda kills a lot of the mac mindsets all the dick mac owners keep telling me (easiest to use, it just works etc.)

And your right, I prefer Windows. I have 3 macs and 3 Pc's, and yes, I prefer the pc's for my daily tasks. I have used PC's longer, I know how to get around faster, and I really can't find any benefits to why I would totally switch to mac.

I know you don't understand why I like having such functionality, nor will you ever. Kinda like how I will never understand why you prefer to change settings in command lines.

While I will not disagree with you but there are also plenty of features Windows does not have native, and also requires third party apps to customize certain things. Sometimes you gotta use registry modifications.

My point is, in OS X anything is probably possible with in reason, but you may have to dig deeper than the GUI to find it.

Dramen

I've never even used an Apple computer because they are not in my price range and they don't use them at school, so I can't really say what I prefer. I have an ipod which has a mind of it's own but is still going strong and it's one of the original Nano's so they must be doing something right.

It doesn't matter what the product is, people will always debate and say stuff sucks or is fantastic, I'm just glad I have a computer that does what I want it to do.

speedyink

VIP Member
While I will not disagree with you but there are also plenty of features Windows does not have native, and also requires third party apps to customize certain things. Sometimes you gotta use registry modifications.

My point is, in OS X anything is probably possible with in reason, but you may have to dig deeper than the GUI to find it.

Ok, time to prove this. I've been trying to find a way to properly change the dpi on osx so I can read the text on my tv withouth walking up to the screen. Please help!