thermal pads for netbooks

dznutz

long story short: where do i buy these thermal pads?

ok my asus 1000ha's fan was grinding up against something. solution from others were to replace the fan.

i replaced the fan, put it all back, applied shin etsu thermal paste to the 3 locations that had these thermal pads which i assume were inferior to my thermal paste.

the netbook sounds fine but heats up fast. i assume the pads were needed as it has a large cushion to touch the metal parts just under the keyboard which acts as a heatsink.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My co-worker did the same to his E6400 and it heated up quite fast. His fix was to place copper heat spreaders between the heatsink and the CPU. I think he just bought them off eBay.

dznutz

sounds good but this netbook's heatsink is the metal keyboard rest shown in the upper right of the pix. i don't know a seller who sells one shaped for that netbook and i'm unfortunately not capable enough to cut one up.

here's a pix of the mobo. these thermal pads were on the 3 areas centrally located on the mobo

Attachments

• IMG_1875a.jpg
    IMG_1875a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Do a search with your laptops model number and the terms copper shim. You can get the thermal pads, as well; there are a couple shops on eBay that sell them, but my personal preference is the copper shim.

dznutz

thanks guys i'll check it out. worst case scenario i'll just use more paste. i'm assuming the reason why these thermal pads were thick is because the heatsink doesn't rest directly on top of the processor, gpu, and i'm guessing a chip

Dngrsone

VIP Member
thanks guys i'll check it out. worst case scenario i'll just use more paste. i'm assuming the reason why these thermal pads were thick is because the heatsink doesn't rest directly on top of the processor, gpu, and i'm guessing a chip

No! :eek:

Thickening thermal paste will only make things worse.

dznutz

i'm assuming the contact between the metal keyboard rest and the cpu aren't touching one another as the thermal pads were a little over 1mm thick.

linkin

VIP Member
sounds good but this netbook's heatsink is the metal keyboard rest shown in the upper right of the pix. i don't know a seller who sells one shaped for that netbook and i'm unfortunately not capable enough to cut one up.

here's a pix of the mobo. these thermal pads were on the 3 areas centrally located on the mobo

Use some quality thermal paste instead, arctic silver 5 works fine.

Your temps will go down. I've replaced pads on dozens of laptops with AS5, has always worked (along with cleaning out the dust)

Last edited: