Thermal paste on chipset heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes he does. He have newer motherboard than first gen i7, so most stock heatsink has silver thermal paste. Yes he is talk about put on die for chipset. Also, yes it is hard to clean silver thermal paste with correct fuild.
He does not mention silver thermal paste anywhere. There is no problem using the same thermal paste that you use on a CPU, also on a chipset heatsink, which was his question.

Jamebonds1

He does not mention silver thermal paste anywhere. There is no problem using the same thermal paste that you use on a CPU, also on a chipset heatsink, which was his question.
Yes, there is issue. Silver thermal paste had destroyed die on GPU. That is my better guess what type of thermal paste he might have because most new stock CPU heatsink come with silver thermal paste.

beers

Staff member
Yes, there is issue. Silver thermal paste had destroyed die on GPU. That is my better guess what type of thermal paste he might have because most new stock CPU heatsink come with silver thermal paste.
Arctic Silver was around before heatspreaders were implemented (such as, socket A/370).

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Jamebonds1

Arctic Silver was around before heatspreaders were implemented (such as, socket A/370).

Yes I do. Stop argument with me please. Why do I found silver thermal in my stock heatsink.

Geoff

VIP Member

Agreed. And AGAIN James, you keep mentioning silver, yet it has not been referenced. He may very well use something similar to Noctua NT-H1, which is non-conductive.

Jamebonds1

Agreed. And AGAIN James, you keep mentioning silver, yet it has not been referenced. He may very well use something similar to Noctua NT-H1, which is non-conductive.
Again, why I have silver thermal paste on my first i3 stock heatsink?

Geoff

VIP Member
Again, why I have silver thermal paste on my first i3 stock heatsink?
Why does that matter? The OP asked if he can use the same thermal paste on a CPU and chipset. There are many different kinds of thermal paste out there, not all contain silver.

Okedokey

You cannot just claim stuff James. You make assertions without any back up. Most stock heatsinks ive seen use garbage TIM, sometimes pads. Secondly it doesn't really matter whether he is considering the TIM on the heatspreader or heatsink as the point remains, replacing TIM on these devices is a good idea.

Jamebonds1

That's what who's on? Your reply had nothing to do with my post.
Yes, my reply has something to do with your post. Again, why do I see silver thermal paste are on heatsink when I unboxed from old i3?

You cannot just claim stuff James. You make assertions without any back up. Most stock heatsinks ive seen use garbage TIM, sometimes pads. Secondly it doesn't really matter whether he is considering the TIM on the heatspreader or heatsink as the point remains, replacing TIM on these devices is a good idea.

Lol nope, they are not garbage because it is silver thermal paste.

Geoff

VIP Member
Again, why do I see silver thermal paste are on heatsink when I unboxed from old i3?
You know that thermal paste can be gray without necessarily meaning it has silver right? Where exactly does it say silver? I'm not saying it doesn't contain silver, as most do, but just because it's gray doesn't mean it does. It also has nothing to do with the OP, because you can replace the thermal paste with a variety of compounds.

Lol nope, they are not garbage because it is silver thermal paste.
Not all thermal paste is equal. The included thermal pads are decent for the stock cooler, but when you want better cooling you should replace it with higher quality thermal paste. The silver and other compounds are generally in lower quantities on the stock thermal pads.

Jamebonds1

You know that thermal paste can be gray without necessarily meaning it has silver right? Where exactly does it say silver? I'm not saying it doesn't contain silver, as most do, but just because it's gray doesn't mean it does. It also has nothing to do with the OP, because you can replace the thermal paste with a variety of compounds.

Not all thermal paste is equal. The included thermal pads are decent for the stock cooler, but when you want better cooling you should replace it with higher quality thermal paste. The silver and other compounds are generally in lower quantities on the stock thermal pads.

Show me evidence, otherwise this is another annoying point it out chat.

beers

Staff member
Clearly some people have flawed ideas of computing.

OP, you are completely fine using that thermal paste on the chipset, presuming the heatsink is not soldered/epoxied on already and has a retention mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.