Thinking of a new card...

Tha Killa

That has a pretty cool gpu cooler and comes with ram heatsinks :p

I think the performance of the card should be like the 6800GT, but this has more ram.

i.Angel

Pretty good card. You should be able to game fine now.

I wouldn't expect top-notch performance however.

skidude

How much better would the 7800GT be??? I mean, I just want to be able to run Quake 4 and COD2 and Doom 3 on ultra with decent framerates.

Geoff

VIP Member
The 7800GT would be much better than that card, but if you dont want to spend much then i would get the x800GTO or x800XL. I have the x800GTO and i can play CoD2 maxed out and i get around 20FPS, i play CSS and DoDS maxed out and get around 30FPS-80FPS. Personally, i dont think that getting that series card with 512MB of memory will make any difference over that card with 256MB memory.

I've heard that the 7800GT gets around 7K in 3DMark05.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That has a pretty cool gpu cooler and comes with ram heatsinks
Id argue most high end cards have some form of at least passive memory cooling.

In any case, the retail model is $10 cheaper after rebate

My question though- Will I see a significant difference in games with either the X850XT or X800XL over the X700 I have now?
Yes

skidude

Praetor said:

How much we talkin here you think?? Like 5FPS or so in Quake 4, or somethin bigger like 15. Also, if I get one of those cards, would that make my CPU a bottleneck?

fade2green514

geoff5093 said:
For that price you'd be better off spending an extra $40 and getting the 7800GT...
definitely. i bought a 7800gt myself, you dont need 512mb of ram on the card! not yet at least, although games are getting better graphics... of course my corsair XMS is more than enough to make up for any slack...

Xycron

banned
Any by the time games will utilize 512mb of ram you'll want a new video card becuse you'll want one faster and with new technology's anyways.

skidude

Then I think I will consider the XFX 7800GT, but it might be a little while before I buy it, I need some more $$$ before I can afford it. But, will that card make my CPU the bottleneck?? If so how bad?

Geoff

VIP Member
skidude said:
Then I think I will consider the XFX 7800GT, but it might be a little while before I buy it, I need some more $$$ before I can afford it. But, will that card make my CPU the bottleneck?? If so how bad?
Well theres no cpu that wouldnt bottleneck a 7800 series card. It shouldnt be that bad, but i would try to overclock it a bit higher.