*****This is very weird*****

lally07

I have just knackered my XFX 8400gs. Everytime i put it into my machine it doesnt fire up when i push the button, but when it is out it does fire up. I fired my machine up without it and the put my 8400gs in and it immediatly turned off.
Can someone just explain what they think the graphics card is doing to prevent my machine starting up??:confused:

JlCollins005

Either the Vid card is bad or the the pcie slot is bad.. is there ne chance u know some1 or have another pcie card to test it

JlCollins005

Well what about your Friends ne of them.. does ur vid card require a power source like the 6 pin pcie power plugs if so are u forgetting to plug that in

JlCollins005

when did u purchase the card, if its new then u get ahold of the company that u bought it from tell em its a bad card and they should tell u to send it to a certain address and they will send a new one.. something along that lines

Quick69GTO

"i bought it from ebay a long time ago"
There's your problem. I would bet the card is dead.
Buy a card from a nearby reputable retailer and try it.
If it does the same as the ebay card, then it is the PCI-E slot.
Return the card to the retailer.

elitehacker

If you have a friend who has a PCI-E and is willing to let you test it out, then you should put that card in to see. Otherwise your card is most likely fried, so just go out and get a new one, the 8400GS is a budget card anyway, you can't really do much with that card.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Sounds like a dead card. But either way, putting the card in while the machine is one PROBABLY isn't a good idea, and chances are you damaged something in doing so.