This is Why You Backup!

Michael

It's not just that. He's saying that his Mac can transfer files larger than 4GB on FAT32, which it can't. So he's not only uninformed, but he makes false claims.

What demographic do you think buys Macs the most? You might be surprised to find that said people generally know very little about their computers, or computers in general, let alone something as, for lack of a better term, far out as the file size limitations of FAT32.

I'm willing to bet your friend is simply out of the loop (e.g; uninformed) and was only trying to excuse his frustration.

On a side note, you should link him to this post. It's very rude to talk bad about people who can't defend themselves. :good:

Calibretto

VIP Member
Yeah, I usually just try to ignore Apple fanboys (and all fanboys in general), but it's the small, stupid things that they say that completely get me going. If they're uninformed about something, they're just better off not mentioning it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It's not just that. He's saying that his Mac can transfer files larger than 4GB on FAT32, which it can't. So he's not only uninformed, but he makes false claims.

Well he is wrong on that, it is pysically impossible to store files larger than 4gigs on FAT32. Now there is a new version of FAT that allows for bigger files but I don't think anyone is adopting it.

Making false claims and spreading false information about computers is definitely not exclusive to Mac users, plenty of misinformation to go around. Just search half the threads on these forums, people talk out their butt a lot, and it is not exclusive to computers either. Everyone these days are experts on the Internet.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I told him for me to drive to Lawrence and even try it, it will be a minimum $150, then an additional $75 for every hour I work after the first hour. Pretty standard rates for me at the time. The guy thought I was nuts. So i told him to grab the yellow pages and look up data recovery centers around town and get quotes. he called me about 2 hours later and said I was dirt cheap. I went out there, recovered 90% of his data, had to struggle to get him to pay me what he really owed me...
What a tool! You save his a$$ to the tune of possibly thousands of dollars, and he's so cheap he won't even pay your low rates? Frakkin' ingrate.

I keep everything important on DVD+RWs and back it all up regularly. Five or six hours of my spare time each month and ±15 DVD+RWs is cheap insurance that has come in real handy when I've had my systems go boom. :good: