Thoughts on Corsair memory

yoongkc

Anyone has any thoughts on this ram: Corsair PC2 6400 XMS 4GB kit (Cl 4)?

And how's the comparison with this ram: OCZ PC2 8500 Reaper 4GB?

Hope to hear from everyone soon! Thanks!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Between the two, I'd get the Corsair. The OCZ Reaper kit is a little faster and a great set of RAM, but very expensive. If price is no concern, then the Reaper kit is among the best in that price range.

Timo

You sure you'll be able to use that 8500 ram? To use it to it's full extent you'd need an FSB of 1066*2 which would be 2132Mhz...

lovely?

actually he'd need an fsb of just 1066, because true ram speed is half. so since his ram is actually running at 533mhz, his fsb only needs to be 1066 to run it at full speed.

and personally i prefer reaper, but maybe thats just because i have a set of PC6400. but its great stuff for overclockers!

Timo

No? DDR2 ram needs to run half of your FSB ?

I seem to remember that very well somehow, and I can't seem to get the feeling I might be wrong here...

lovely?

No? DDR2 ram needs to run half of your FSB ?

I seem to remember that very well somehow, and I can't seem to get the feeling I might be wrong here...

you were right about multiplying one of the speeds, but it was not the fsb. you take the actual fsb speed of 1066 and the actual ram speed of 533, and multiply the ram speed by 2. they match up evenly so you get a 1:1 ratio.

i can understand how you got confused though, you were only off by a little.

Timo

The Quadpumped FSB needs to be twice as much as the speed of the DDR2 memory ?

We're I to have a 1333mhz (Quadpumped) FSB, I'd need 667Mhz DDR2 to run 1:1 ratio ?

That's what I said right ?

Timo

I seem to be unclear when saying this all the time, to say it correct I would have to say:

Your bus speed, in general on a newer Intel, would be 333mhz... And then your FSB would be 1333 because the FSB is always counted in Quadpumped with newer models (most not too much older models tend to have Quadpumped FSB's as well).

And to run your Memory at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB your Memory would need to be half the speed of the (Quadpumped) FSB. So if your Bus speed is 333Mhz then that would been you have a 1333Mhz FSB, and half of that would be 667Mhz.

So for a standard clock Intel of the newer series you would need to have a 667Mhz DDR2 Memory to run 1:1. And with some models you would need 1066/2= 533Mhz DDR2 Memory.

lovely?

hold on let me get my head on straight.

ok. earlier i was running my e4500 at an fsb of 500 in the bios. that equals 2000mhz, so im thinking both of us were wrong.

you take the fsb before quadpump, double that and you get your memory. not after quadpump like you thought, and its not identical to your fsb like i thought.

EDIT: god i think i misunderstood your first post. you were right after all werent you? when you said 'half of your fsb' i got confused even more.

sorry m8 i had the right thought but i said it completely wrong.

Last edited:

Timo

Ha! So in your face ;)

Never mind me, I just had to say that. We can all be wrong but I know I was right this time.

Your FSB needs to be twice as much as your Memory speed ;) (so your FSB --> Quadpumped as always)

yoongkc

Hey guys,

Sorry about it, but the terms are getting a bit too technical. Mind if I check something?

First, I think I layout my computer specs that I hope to purchase:

Mainboard: Asus RamPage Formula (Intel chipset X48)
Graphic card: XFX 9800 GTX 512MB (either XT version or Black version)
CPU: Intel Q9450 (45nm, 1333MHz, 2.66GHz)

Given these devices, what is the optimum RAM specs that I should use? Like whether what should the operating frequency be?

Next question is that the code on the RAM like 6400, 8500. How does this value corresponds to the operating frequency? From my observation, 6400 = 800MHz, 8500 = 1033MHz, am I right?

The next thing I hope to check is that does it make a difference if we place 4 pieces of 4GB RAM or 2 pieces of 2GB RAM to obtain 4GB memory system? If there are differences, what are they?

Sorry for the so many many questions. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Thanks!

yoongkc

One more question...

How does the operating frequency of RAM (say 1066MHz) match up with the processor operating frequency (say 1333MHz)?

Thanks!

Noir

Anyone has any thoughts on this ram: Corsair PC2 6400 XMS 4GB kit (Cl 4)?

And how's the comparison with this ram: OCZ PC2 8500 Reaper 4GB?

Hope to hear from everyone soon! Thanks!

Hey i'm interest to buy that ram too because of its good value, is it a good ram?
I need it to give more room for my cpu so i can oc more, now im stuck with 667mhz pc 5300 because im too afraid to oc that value ram of mine.

Timo

If you want to use ram that is running 1066mhz on a ratio of 1:1 you'd need to have a Quadpumped (so that is FSB*4) FSB of 2132Mhz... This is basically unheard of.

So I'd take cheaper but better quality PC6400 ram which runs at 800mhz. Then you'd only need your Quadpumped FSB at 1600mhz... Which is basically an FSB of 400. So with a Q9450 at the stock multiplier you'd run 400*8=3.2Ghz and a Quadpumped FSB of 1600mhz. This way it will run a 1:1 ratio... Ofcourse you can make the multiplier one lower to 7. Then it will run 400*7=2.8Ghz which is good as well and it will still run at 1600mhz Quadpumped FSB so it will still be a 1:1 ratio :)