Top AMD vs top C2D specs?

Kazoon

Anyone have any comparison for the fastest amd vs the fastest Core 2 duo? I have been searching but I am just finding mid level benchmarks. I am interested in seeing both of the stock bench marks and also both of them overclocked along with prices. I am looking at building a high end PC for games and movie editing and I realy want to do my homework first I am going to have about $1500 for MB, CPU and RAM give or take a hundred. But if I can save like $400 and get something that performs almost as good that might be worth thinking about because I could by something cool like this monitor I am looking at!

Kazoon

I am leaning towards the E6700 and over clock it, these guys got 3.5ghz's out of one http://digg.com/hardware/Core_2_Duo_E6700_Overclocking_3.5GHz so I think maybe 3.1 or 3.2 would not be to unrealistic? I can get one at tigerdirect for about $700 that would mean I would have enough money to buy a good MB and at least 2gigs of quality ram. I have everything else I need such as case, HD, DVD burner ect ect. Does this sound like a good way to go? I mean buy the second best C2D and overclock?

EDIT. Anyone else on this forum have a E6700?

Geoff

VIP Member
I wouldnt get the E6700, since its just a slightly overclocked version of the E6600, but costs alot more.

I would highly recommend just going with an E6600.

Rambo

[-0MEGA-];425051 said:
I wouldnt get the E6700, since its just a slightly overclocked version of the E6600, but costs alot more.

Doesn't the E6700 have an extra Multiplier? Not sure...

Kazoon

[-0MEGA-];425051 said:

What are the overclocking capabilities of the E6600 vs E6700? Thats something that I would need to take into condiseration also. From what I understand you can overclock an E6700 to outperform a EX6800 is the E6600 capable of doing that? Thats why I would realy like to see some overclocked benchmarks but I cant find what I am looking for.

Burgerbob

Do you need to have the fastest CPU that you can? if you dont, the stock 6600 will be just fine. If you are in the US, i would also reccomend buying from www.newegg.com.

fade2green514

the overclocking capabilities of the core 2 duo are amazing... whether its the kentsfield (e6300 + e6400) or the higher "conroe" models with 4mb of cache instead of 2mb... theyre all overclockable to at least 3.2ghz on stock voltage, and probably 3.6ghz pretty easily with a decent air cooler and maybe a little overvoltage.
you'd need negative degrees celsius to do with with an athlon 64 x2.
i'd either go with the e6600, or with the right motherboard an e6300. the cache doesn't make any difference in most applications.

all of the processors more than meet standards for games though, and on highest settings. generally i think its just for bragging rights, thats why i want it. lol
i mean, right now... ive got 1566mb of free memory. its ridiculous, but during games i use some of that second gigabyte lol..

Last edited:

fade2green514

E6600 and ASUS motherboard
yea, if you can afford it haha
id go with the e6300 personally... its like what $170 less or something... if you're overclocking you'll definitely want a good motherboard, but all the core 2 duos have essentially the same chance at overclocking... you'll want to look into cooling too, if you plan on overclocking it to its max. the big typhoon, or the freezer 7 pro would be the two coolers id suggest... meant for two different budget of course, the big typhoon is definitely better.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
I'd go with a E6300, and get the Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 motherboard. If you get the right memory, you will be able to overclock it to very high speeds. With the extra cash you save, you can get a nice cooler like the Zalman CNPS9500 or the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

ceewi1

VIP Member
the overclocking capabilities of the core 2 duo are amazing... whether its the kentsfield (e6300 + e6400) or the higher "conroe" models with 4mb of cache instead of 2mb...
The E6300 and E6400 are Allendale cores, Kentsfield has yet to be released.

would you recomend the e6600 rather then a am2 x2 5000 it seams to kill it but i want your opeinons thank
Yes, the E6600 is solidly superior, and has far greater overclocking abilities.