Top reasons of why a laptop slows down?

TechCom0018

My fathers HP laptop, which is only about a year old, when it's starts up and when he tries run some program. 99% of the time he uses AOL and he doesn't have much music and doesn't have any pictures or movies. And every time power down his laptop keeps AOL on, which closes down when his laptop shuts off, and his laptop goes into Hibernate instead of fully shut down. Here are the specs of my father's laptop:

HP Pavilion ze2000
Windows XP Home w/SP2
AMD Turion 64 Mobile w/787MHz
348 MB of RAM
50 GB Hard Drive
CD/DVD ROM (Only Reads)

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
well he could do with actually fully shutting the unit down once in a while, i still think that hibernation is one of the more pointless additions to windows and is only useful when your battery is running low. I would also imagine that the unit could do with a reinstallation of windows after having for a year also.

Advitiya Saxena

yes thats right, hibert. is not at all trust worthy. if ur system crashed while in hibert. node u have to re-install XP. i never use it.

computerhakk

VIP Member
My fathers HP laptop, which is only about a year old, when it's starts up and when he tries run some program. 99% of the time he uses AOL and he doesn't have much music and doesn't have any pictures or movies. And every time power down his laptop keeps AOL on, which closes down when his laptop shuts off, and his laptop goes into Hibernate instead of fully shut down. Here are the specs of my father's laptop:

Not really sure what you're trying to say. Your question and details doesn't seem to refer to the same thing. Are you trying to say that instead of shutting down, it goes into hibernate and keeps AOL on?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Top reasons for most any laptop problems: heat heat and HEAT! Hah... Seriously, make sure the thing's not overheating. Though besides physically being clogged up with dust or just bad placement, the laptop could also be overworked. Perhaps spyware, heavy fragmentation on the hard drive, too many startup programs, or even just a program that's acting up.

TechCom0018

well he could do with actually fully shutting the unit down once in a while, i still think that hibernation is one of the more pointless additions to windows and is only useful when your battery is running low. I would also imagine that the unit could do with a reinstallation of windows after having for a year also.

How do I reinstall Windows XP. As in do I backup his hard drive, then delete the old partition, then reinstall Windows XP, and then reinstall all of his computer settings?

PabloTeK

You'll probably have had to create or been provided with some restore disks. You'll have to use these to re-install Windows but first burn a DVD or something with the stuff you need, reboot and boot to the recovery CD and follow the prompts.

TechCom0018

You'll probably have had to create or been provided with some restore disks. You'll have to use these to re-install Windows but first burn a DVD or something with the stuff you need, reboot and boot to the recovery CD and follow the prompts.

Thanks GCR, I tried doing that with my 4 year old Dell Desktop and the trouble I'm having is do I delete the partition that Windows is on and then do I reinstall Windows and reinstall all of my stuff?

jasonz

Thanks GCR, I tried doing that with my 4 year old Dell Desktop and the trouble I'm having is do I delete the partition that Windows is on and then do I reinstall Windows and reinstall all of my stuff?

If you only have one partition, you just boot off your windows or recovery disc. When setup starts, It will ask you which partition you want to install windows on. It will then format that partition and install windows on it. And yes, you will have to reinstall all your stuff. If it is a recovery cd, you will just have to install regular software, but if it is a windows cd Im pretty sure you will have to download all your drivers too.

TechCom0018

Here's the trouble I'm having. I heard that you should re-install Windows once a year. So when I get to the part about partition, on my Windows recovery disc, do I install a new installation of Windows over the old partition of Windows, or do I install a new partition of Windows on my hard drive and, for a short time, have 2 partition of Windows. Then delete the old partition of Windows and keep my new installation of Windows?