Which Video Card Is Better

ATI Radeon X1650 XT 256MB PCIe

OR

ATI FireGL V3300 128MB PCIe

Doing 2D and 3D Graphic Design
Photoshop, Illustrator, Poser, Flash

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
the X1650 XT is a gaming card for the most part... the FireGL series are for image rendering and is more apt for what you have described yourself as doing.

dragon

lovely?

i could never understand why the gaming cards couldnt do that stuff too, if they can play games they should be able to render 3D construction programs... it makes no sense

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
i could never understand why the gaming cards couldnt do that stuff too, if they can play games they should be able to render 3D construction programs... it makes no sense
Im not exactly an expert in the micro-architecture of GPU cores and their features but i would expect that gamin cards are equipped with low latency on RAM modules, high FSB's and other clocks and a general all round quick resposne to instructions and output. Cards designed for construction rendering and pure 3D environments I would expect to be a lot more robust and be able to hold out the raw power for extended periods of time. Low latency isnt something that NEEDS to happen. As an example, a gaming card would be the lamborghini gallardo, quick and nimble and puts out when it needs to... the 3D construction rendering cards such as the FireGL range would be something like a tractor... yeh, its got a shed load of power but isn't nimble at all, not suited for games because it cant output that fast, but it does have the power..

Hope that enlightened you at least a little bit

dragon

swizz182g

I have definantly found enlightenment with the anology with the lambo and tractor. Made me see thing in a whole new light