toshiba notebook won't recognize dvd drive...

brentduo

I was working fine then all of a sudden stopped working. Now it won't recognize a disc in the drive. The computer recognizes it in the hardware monitor but says there is a problem with it. I have downloaded new drivers from toshiba's website but they have not fixed the problem. any ideas?:confused:

cpt.obvious

Were you burning a dvd or something when this happened? Try taking out the drive and see if the lens is cracked. Or did you try cleaning it?

brentduo

neither, I was using it heavily installing photoshop, illustator and office and printer software. Then It just quit. It always did make a loud vibrating noise when it was operating ever since I got it. thought it was normal. maybe it wasnt. like i said i tried downloading the drivers off the website but they did't work. gotta find the disc that came with it now, maybe those will work. what do I do if the lens is cracked? the drive should still show up in "my computer" right even if the lens is cracked right? The bios says it's there. anyway the laptop is at work and i'm at home I'll check it out tommorow.