Transfering OS to raid array?

gordonie

So i have windows 7 installed on one 120g ssd and i want to take the OS and put it on a raid 0 array using two of the same 120g ssds. Whats the best way i can acconplish this?

note, the ssd the os is already on will be one of the ssds used in the array.

i really dont wanna blitz the thing and start a new. any advice?

thanks

Gordon

larsch

A reinstall shouldn't be necessary. You just need to make sure Windows has access to the raid driver. It is a bit like switching from pata to sata. You can google a how-to guide.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A reinstall shouldn't be necessary. You just need to make sure Windows has access to the raid driver. It is a bit like switching from pata to sata. You can google a how-to guide.

Yes, with it being a raid setup, especially raid 0, a fresh install is required.

larsch

Why do you think that? From the OS's perspective there is no difference in addressing the data. The OS is not concerned about the physical layout (LBA numbering is the same before and after).

Last edited:

larsch

I think I see where we misunderstand each other. You are talking about maintaining the data on the drive while creating the array. I'm past that (the OS can be ghosted to another 3rd drive) :)

You can clone an existing OS installation from a single drive over to a RAID 0 array. I've personally done just that with an old Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra, going from an IDE drive over to my SATA RAID 0 setup back in like 2003-2004ish. Set up the array and install the drivers within your existing Windows installation. After that, grab a third drive and install an OS to it for the purpose of cloning your OS installation over to the array. There's probably a Linux live CD that can do it if you don't have another drive to use.

gordonie

Well I have another 2tb WD harddrive I could use, so basically yall are saying clone everything to the 2tb drive, setup up the two ssds in raid then clone everything back?

Sorry I am a new tech weenie, but wouldnt cloning the OS require expensive programs and such?