transfering songs from Ipod

hurleygirl

I need to transfer all my songs from my Ipod, because I lost all of my songs when I retored my computer and didn't think to save my music. I do have all the songs on my ipod but not on my computer anybody know how to transfer songs from ipod to computer? I need step by step. Thanks!

linkin

VIP Member
I know that on windows, you can plug the ipod in (without itunes isntaleld!!!) and you can copy everything off the ipod into a fodler or whatever.

Then install itunes and use it to get the music, i did this when my HP's hard drive failed... though the songs will be named something like "ZSGB" o another random four letter "word" so it's difficult to tell what it is without opening the song.

CravinR1

Sharepod is great cause so long as itunes is installed (to install the drivers) you can access movies & songs (though not pictures)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I know that on windows, you can plug the ipod in (without itunes isntaleld!!!) and you can copy everything off the ipod into a fodler or whatever.

Then install itunes and use it to get the music, i did this when my HP's hard drive failed... though the songs will be named something like "ZSGB" o another random four letter "word" so it's difficult to tell what it is without opening the song.

iTunes can be installed when you do this. You just have to copy all the songs in to a new folder. When it's done, add the new folder to the iTunes indexed library, and it will read and add all the songs appropriately.

bkribbs

iTunes can be installed when you do this. You just have to copy all the songs in to a new folder. When it's done, add the new folder to the iTunes indexed library, and it will read and add all the songs appropriately.

how do you do that? I figured out how to copy it off the iPod, but then they were titled like THWY.m4a or JAYQ.m4p

i would just use sharepod. i know it works with windows, not sure about macs

Dropkickmurphys

Wow, never knew you could do that? So you are saying that it will read all of the weirdly named files properly?

bkribbs

Wow, never knew you could do that? So you are saying that it will read all of the weirdly named files properly?

that would be a really good time saver. i spent a few hours working on sharepod. if all i had to do was put the files on itunes, im gonna have wasted a few hours

CravinR1

will itunes not wipe the ipod since its not synced?

Sharepod is simple, if you go to the options on how to name the file

bkribbs

will itunes not wipe the ipod since its not synced?

Sharepod is simple, if you go to the options on how to name the file

if you open itunes with the ipod plugged it it will say something like "this iPod is synced with another computer. to sync with this itunes library, hit erase and sync" you then can hit erase and sync and it will wipe it, or you can hit cancel, and it wont touch it

DCIScouts

VIP Member
With most new iPods (I know at least the video iPods and newer) when you plug the iPod in to your computer it is recognized as an external hard drive. You can then open that, check "show hidden files" and open the iPod Control folder. In there is all of the data that is on the iPod; pictures, music, movies, etc... Copy those folders into a new folder on your hard drive and once that's done "un-hide" those folders and then add the main folder to the iTunes library index. I just did it with my old video iPod and iPod Touch when I got my iPhone because I was stupid and formatted my hard drive with my music library on it.Once you do that, it should start indexing those files. If you go in to the folder directly it will still have the gibberish titles, but the "ID3" or file name tag is intact so that iTunes will read the name of the song when it imports it into iTunes. I did have about 20 out of almost 2000 songs still read the four letter code in iTunes, but that's quickly fixed. The key thing is to un-hide the folders once they are copied, if you don't do that, iTunes will not find the folders, or more importantly the files in those folders.