Tried to build a Computer

lostsoul62

I'm an ex-computer guy (MIS Manager) for 20 years who built more computer than I can count and now I can't build anything. It's been 10 years ago that I retired. So I tried to build a computer with the help of some who know quit a bit about computers. Well I don't know if it was the hardware or me, but after working on it for about 20 hours not even my mouse and keyboard would work. Anyway I'm thinking or 2 ways to build my computer. Buy the parts again and hire a computer tech who is out of a job to help me or buy one custom made for me though Fry's Electronic or who ever. I'll be 67 next month and I don't handle stress well.

Troncoso

VIP Member
That's great and all....but, do you have an actual question or something? Or is this just more of a discussion thing?

lostsoul62

The question is: Would it be better to buy a computer that I order with my specks? Would it be better to build a computer with help? I have a 900 antec case with lots of fans and a 750 antec power supply with all the wires (about a year and a half old) Now I have a case I'm not sure of and I might like a new power supply without all the wires I don't need. I have the Hard Drive. So It's going to cost me $300 more dollars to order than to build but I'm not sure of the case and power supply?

Geoff

VIP Member
You said that you built it but the mouse and keyboard doesn't work. Does this mean that you were able to power it up and boot from the OS media, and you then realized you couldn't use the mouse or keyboard? Or were you able to install the OS but then had those issues?

If you built it and successfully saw the option to boot from the OS media, then the build itself is most likely fine. The first thing that comes to mind is that your keyboard and mouse are plugged into the USB 3.0 ports, which don't always work without drivers. Try plugging them into (usually black vs blue) USB 2.0 ports and see if that works. If not, and you have a PS/2 port, try a PS/2 keyboard.

lostsoul62

The mouse and keyboard wasn't plug in the USB3 and I could list all the things that went wrong but you would get bored reading all of them. The parts were sent back so this post is about which way should I go to build another one.

Mez

Honestly building a computer today isn't that much different than 10 years ago. My local Frys does computer builds but not without an additional charge, I doubt it would be an absurd charge, so perhaps that is an option for you.

While pre-built computers are usually very marked up price, that also may be an option for you.

Ultimately I would recommend building your own computer from scratch, perhaps with some help. Not only is it cheaper, but it will help re-jog your memory with building computers.

And the problem you stated with your keyboard and mouse not being recognized sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue.

Last edited:

lostsoul62

I'm going to get an out of work computer tech to help me build a computer. Fry's Electronics charges $60 to put the hardware together which I have had done before. But your right about it's not much difference than 10 years ago but my brain is a lot different.

Geoff

VIP Member
The mouse and keyboard wasn't plug in the USB3 and I could list all the things that went wrong but you would get bored reading all of them. The parts were sent back so this post is about which way should I go to build another one.

...Well I don't know if it was the hardware or me, but after working on it for about 20 hours not even my mouse and keyboard would work...
Again, if you got to the point where you could use a keyboard and mouse, then all the core components are working. I'm not sure why you gave up so easily, building a computer is easier today than it was 10 years ago, with everything being plug and play. If you were having issues you should have posted here or looked on YouTube for some guides.