Trinity Review, Piledriver is a Win

Russ88765

Great to hear, bout time AMD started catching up. It looks like Phenom II's are still a top choice though, judging by the chart on the first page regarding instruction per core. I like AMD but i'm not ready to toss my Phenom II out the window just yet. Gotta see how Piledriver goes over, as well as Trinity. These names they use get more and more crazy every year!

StrangleHold

Staff member
The FX Vishera Piledriver suppost to be faster in IPC then the APU Piledriver. Because of more optimization. It will not be listed as in the 10,000. It will be the FX 8300 series.

jonnyp11

The FX Vishera Piledriver suppost to be faster in IPC then the APU Piledriver. Because of more optimization. It will not be listed as in the 10,000. It will be the FX 8300 series.

I figured the desktop version would be better along with the fact that power isn't nearly as much of an issue so they can get more performance without that concern. And figured it would be more like that but yeah.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I figured the desktop version would be better along with the fact that power isn't nearly as much of an issue so they can get more performance without that concern. And figured it would be more like that but yeah.

I've been told, not really for sure. But they might have a new stepping/B3 release. The FX Vishera is not coming out till late the 3rd quarter, plus they bypassed the 8200 series with Vishera. That there might be a B3 stepping under the 8200 series.

jonnyp11

So piledriver is the next level up from bulldozer? Does that make Phenom II two generations behind?

technically yeah, but it's not out for a while and really it's just a revision of the original bulldozer, similar to the way there's a phenom and a phenom II, but those were further apart in time and performance i think, not sure if they share anything in the architecture.

jonnyp11

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5057/the-bulldozer-aftermath-delving-even-deeper/1

Some new analyses of bulldozer, interesting stuff. Skipped a few pages and haven't finished reading, but it focuses mainly on interlagos for some reason, but since servers are highly threaded it does give more detail to why the modules didn't do so well. Apparently a lot has to do with the l1 cache associations not being as good as they could be which screws it up some, which causes the 2 separate integer cores on each module to hinder each other, reason being they used a 2-way 64kb cache while intel uses a 8-way cache for 2 threads. Also, a big issue is the branch prediction unit, which has a long misprediction penalty apparently. They said if they adopted intel's µop cache, it would help it in several areas. And Interlagos also suffers from low clock speeds. Then at the end of the conclusion they say there's a 4th problem that is also in sandy-bridge, but they are still investigation it and will comment on it later on.

They say they still have hope for the Abu Dhabi platform (piledriver) since issues like these came up with the 2007 Barcelona, but were fixed in 2008 with Shanghai, which had better cache and higher clock speeds.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Wait... So piledriver is strictly APUs now? Or are they planning to release a FX line too? Toms hardware makes it a little confusing...

they will have an fx line, but they just started shipping the spus out to manufacturers, that's why everything is about them.

And i wouldn't doubt 18% better but from that i'm thinking it's more like 18-20% faster clocks or something, most of thaqt didn't look like it scaled to me, so the clocks were a lot higher but the performance would be worse at the same speeds, idk.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This is just the first of lowerend Trinity APU release. It has Piledriver cores, without L3 cache. The Desktop FX with Piledriver cores will be called FX-Vishera. Will Have 8mb. of L3 cache with no APU. Suppost to have more core updates then the APU Trinity core.