Trouble-Shooting USB Cables

shamrock838

Trouble-Shooting USB Cables:
I’m suspecting that one of my USB cables is faulty since I’m getting frequent “hi-lo-lo-hi” tone combinations (not beeps) from MS Vista Business. I checked CONTROL PANEL\SOUNDS and they seem to be:
Device Disconnect (“hi-lo” tones)
Device Connect (“lo-hi” tones).
The usual sequence is rapid-fire “Device Disconnect”/”Device Connect” (without a pause) – though sometimes I even get a “hi-lo-hi” tone sequence.

What’s the best way to check my USB cables -- economically -- without replacing them all outright < GASP! >.

Thanks.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Are they all doing this? If so, then I would think that it's something to do with the USB device controller or the drivers for the device controller, not the USB cables themselves. The easiest way to check the cables would be to take the cables over to a computer that has a cable that you know is working right and then put your potentially faulty cable in there instead. If it works right then the cable is fine and it's either something wrong with the device controller on your motherboard, the drivers for the controller, or the device connected to that USB cable.

shamrock838

Greetings,

Sorry for the delay in replying,

I may have found the solution to those annoying Windows Vista (Business) Connect/Disconnect “bong” sounds.

For the record, I’m using a Dell Vostro 420 desktop with USB ports in rear and front panels. Since I like having USB devices plugged in within easy reach, I opted to use a Belkin 4-Port USB hub plugged in the front.

In the process of disconnecting USB devices gradually to see which ones made a difference, I disconnected the hub and the “bongs” all but disappeared. I then reconnected the USB devices directly to the computer via the rear and front panels.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yes, we have that problem sometimes at work with the Belkin 4-port hubs. Sometimes some of the ports just don't work, and then 5 seconds later, they do... I don't know what else to tell you other than to only connect the devices that you will immediately be using and then you won't need the hub.

Zatharus

VIP Member
This sounds like either the hub is not powered properly or the devices on the hub are drawing too much power from it - or both. That can cause the hub/devices to fail completely or flicker in and out of operation.