Ubuntu! Anyone getting it?

Are you waiting for the Ubuntu 10.04 release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aviation_man

i'm currently [strike]running[/strike] battling ubuntu server 9.10 on my PIII, but i've dabbled with linux for a bit in the past.

it's not hard to run and do things, but it is difficult to customize, especially if you're used to rt-clicking stuff and changing properties. the transition from windows XP to 7 has been a lot easier than getting ubuntu samba up and running...

Yeah it's definitely a change from Windows to Linux... I installed it on my old 2001 compaq laptop (1.8ghz Intel Celeron, 500mb RAM) and it works like a charm.. It was slower than a porcupine on roller skates with Windows on it.

zombine210

Yeah it's definitely a change from Windows to Linux... I installed it on my old 2001 compaq laptop (1.8ghz Intel Celeron, 500mb RAM) and it works like a charm.. It was slower than a porcupine on roller skates with Windows on it.

huh!?? how is a porcupine on roller skates slow? :confused:
when you say porcupine, i think of sonic, yes i know he's a hedgehog. still he's pretty f*king fast. then add roller skates on that mofo and he's like a ninja star on steroids. LOL :D

linux with a gui is not very hard to learn though, you just have to think about alternate ways of doing things, like playing mp3s or having to logon every time.

the cli is the one that gets you, and there is no standardization whatsoever. so basically if you have a problem, you have to not only find help on the particular distro you're using, but also the release version. wtf

tlarkin

VIP Member
huh!?? how is a porcupine on roller skates slow? :confused:
when you say porcupine, i think of sonic, yes i know he's a hedgehog. still he's pretty f*king fast. then add roller skates on that mofo and he's like a ninja star on steroids. LOL :D

linux with a gui is not very hard to learn though, you just have to think about alternate ways of doing things, like playing mp3s or having to logon every time.

the cli is the one that gets you, and there is no standardization whatsoever. so basically if you have a problem, you have to not only find help on the particular distro you're using, but also the release version. wtf

Entirely depends. If you can use BASH, you can figure out Linux command line, since the standard shell on almost every Linux distro out there is BASH. Now there are some vendor specific commands, like apt-get for Ubuntu for example, and those you just need to read the documentation on.