unable to get internet explorer

johnf

every time I try to get internet explorer on, my computer goes to windows media centre, even if i click open internet explorer. all the desktop icons have changed from their relevant pictures to the windows media center logo but with the names underneath. If I try to log on from a shortcut, even by pressing open with internet explorer, windows media center comes up every time

ScottALot

If you don't mind me asking, do you have @$$hole friends that like to mess with your computer? That sounds like the source of the problem

Motorcharge

No IE? What exactly is the issue?

Also I'm with Scott, if I had to guess I'd say someone messed with the icon. Try opening it from a different source (start menu if you normally open it from the desktop or vice versa).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
No IE? What exactly is the issue?

Also I'm with Scott, if I had to guess I'd say someone messed with the icon. Try opening it from a different source (start menu if you normally open it from the desktop or vice versa).

He said everything tries to open in Windows Media Center, which means his file associations have been messed up. Resetting them back to default will fix his issue.

TechRookie

That wouldn't fix his issue anyway since his file associations aren't configured correctly.

File associations shouldn't affect the actual program name. Running the program from task manager or "run" would open the program. It would look for all the files it needs to open up, given they are still in their original location, it should work.

We'll have to see what he does to see if this works ;)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
File associations shouldn't affect the actual program name. Running the program from task manager or "run" would open the program. It would look for all the files it needs to open up, given they are still in their original location, it should work.

We'll have to see what he does to see if this works ;)

If the file associations aren't correct, it doesn't matter where you run it from, it won't open correctly.

CrazyMike

No IE? Your lucky!!

Just go on a different computer and download Firefox and install. Chrome if your 12. There is another one ____ Moon, but unsure about the name, suppose to be good.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No IE? Your lucky!!

Just go on a different computer and download Firefox and install. Chrome if your 12. There is another one ____ Moon, but unsure about the name, suppose to be good.

That would be Pale Moon; and it's just a faster, more streamlined version of Firefox.

Allow me to clerify this to anyone else reading this thread. Downloading another web browser will not help him because his file associations to run the program as an executable are mis-configured.

CrazyMike

No need for large font.

By the sound of it, it seemed as IE was only file mis-configured. In which don't matter. Just log onto a different computer download new browser and your on your way.

If all files are mis-configured, then it's a different story. But as i read his posts, i must misunderstand, cause it sounded like only IE was affected.

My bad :)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No need for large font.

By the sound of it, it seemed as IE was only file mis-configured. In which don't matter. Just log onto a different computer download new browser and your on your way.

If all files are mis-configured, then it's a different story. But as i read his posts, i must misunderstand, cause it sounded like only IE was affected.

My bad :)

The reason I did that is because everybody seems to think installing a new web browser will work. Reading the entire thread before responding helps.

CrazyMike

"every time I try to get internet explorer on, my computer goes to windows media centre, even if i click open internet explorer. all the desktop icons have changed from their relevant pictures to the windows media center logo but with the names underneath. If I try to log on from a shortcut, even by pressing open with internet explorer, windows media center comes up every time "

As this is the only post from himself, it seems that only IE is affected. All other posts are from other people, in which move on to saying all file allocations are messed up.

Again sorry, not seeing what your seeing. :)

CrazyMike

Anyway John, if this is the case, I would just do a system recovery prior to having this problem (if no major work has been done). Simple, fast, and easy.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
"every time I try to get internet explorer on, my computer goes to windows media centre, even if i click open internet explorer. all the desktop icons have changed from their relevant pictures to the windows media center logo but with the names underneath. If I try to log on from a shortcut, even by pressing open with internet explorer, windows media center comes up every time "

As this is the only post from himself, it seems that only IE is affected. All other posts are from other people, in which move on to saying all file allocations are messed up.

Again sorry, not seeing what your seeing. :)

Because all of his icons changed, that is why we are assuming it's the file associations.

Anyway John, if this is the case, I would just do a system recovery prior to having this problem (if no major work has been done). Simple, fast, and easy.

He'd have a bear of a time trying to figure out how to get system restore to open with damaged file associations.