Upgrade?

jimmymac

VIP Member
the AS rock vsta has had some half decent reviews, if your not looking to overclock or anything.

I have thought about these boards myself, capable of handling AGP and PCI-E as well as DDR and DDR2. It makes a nice little inbetween board if your planning on a gradual upgrade and its the exact market that its aimed at.

Buy the board and cpu but keep your old gfx and memory, then upgrade the memory, later the gfx and eventually replace the board as well.

Its really nothing more than a stop gap (temporary board of sorts) so don't expect wonders from it. As boards go its a middle of the road average performing board. In a nutshell, it does the job :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for the reply, I was planning on keeping the RAM and the GPU and putting them in the board, It does look like a good board! and for only £40 :D

The only problem is that I JUST bought the board in my sig and my parents wont even consider the idea of me getting a new one, I've tried to explain that it'll probably pay for itself if I sell my current board and CPU!

What do you think of the Intel Pentium 4 820 Dual Core 2.8GHz?

Geoff

VIP Member
I had that same exact motherboard (its actually in my closet still :p).

It's a great motherboard when you consider that it has DDR and DDR2, as well as AGP and PCI-E. Just dont expect to overclock much with it.

jimmymac

VIP Member
Thanks for the reply, I was planning on keeping the RAM and the GPU and putting them in the board, It does look like a good board! and for only £40 :D

The only problem is that I JUST bought the board in my sig and my parents wont even consider the idea of me getting a new one, I've tried to explain that it'll probably pay for itself if I sell my current board and CPU!

What do you think of the Intel Pentium 4 820 Dual Core 2.8GHz?

if you bunged your other board on ebay you could probably get the money back easily enough.

As for the P4 820, can't say i'm a fan of them, probably because i've never used them but it would be a decent improvement over the current athlon you have. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Oh Cool, So you'd recomend it [-OMEGA-]?

Yeah, thats what I've told them... They think it's a waste to of just bought one and then to get rid of it and get another one! :(

Do you think the P4 820 would be Ok for gaming?

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
I had a PD930, and it was decent for gaming, but since most games dont take advantage of a dual core processor, it's basically like using a Pentium 4 2.8 in your case.

I would recommend that motherboard, but just dont expect too much out of it. However for the price and features it has, it's a steal.

Kornowski

VIP Member
2.8 GHZ is an Ok speed isn't it?
I do image editing and stuff like that so the dual core will come in hand there I supose...

Is there any other good 775 CPU's that are in the same price range?

Thanks.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you could afford a Core 2 Duo E6300, that would be the best choice, since it's an awesome gaming and multitasking processor.

mrbagrat

banned
Its alright, but it would be better to wait and get the E6300. Or, you could get one of the E4xxx C2Ds when they come out, they're supposed to be cheaper. What do you need AGP & DDR for? I would just get a mobo with DDR2 and PCI-e only.

EDIT: Oh, you have DDR and an AGP card. Well I would do it right the first time-better to wait and get a mobo with all new features then one thats half outdated.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't want all of the new features... I can upgrade to the newer stuff if I want with that board... I have the option for both :D I won't be getting any more RAM or a new GPU for a while...

Kornowski

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];554526 said:
You can only use DDR or DDR2, you cant use both at the same time.

That isn't that good... Do you think that 1GB will be ok for a while... Then I'd have to buy two 1GB sticks...

Geoff

VIP Member
That isn't that good... Do you think that 1GB will be ok for a while... Then I'd have to buy two 1GB sticks...

What do you mean it isnt that good? It allows you to use your existing 1GB of DDR until you can afford to buy 1-2GB of DDR2.

1GB will be fine for a while, unless you plan to game on Vista.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Is the Pentium D dual core a good CPU? Will it be Ok gaming...
I could maybe extend my budget to get a Cure Duo, but for no more than £160 maybe... any suggestion?