upgrading a laptop processor

gamerman1988

I am looking to upgrade my vostro 1500 CPU from my T5470. I know that it is a socket P so I looked up socket P CPUs to replace it. Now I was looking at a T8300 to replace it with. The only difference is that the die size is smaller. I have no idea what that means, would I be able to use a T8300 or do I have to stick to CPUs that have the same die size at my T5470?

oregon

Yes, you would have to stick to the same die size. I believe that refers to the physical size, and so the pins on a smaller chip would not match a large socket.

AMD Fanboy

I disagree. if the chip is socket P like the old one, it should PHYSICALLY fit into the socket. The problem would likely boil down to a BIOS Flash if one is available to offer support for that CPU. The FIRST place i would look would be the manufacturer's website.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Yes, you would have to stick to the same die size. I believe that refers to the physical size, and so the pins on a smaller chip would not match a large socket.

DIE (the actual piece of semiconductor material) size and SOCKET size are two different things. If the SOCKET is the same, the new chip will *physically* fit in. Whether it'll work or not, is another question and largely depends on the chipset/BIOS. As stated before, first place to look for info would be the manufacturer's website.

gamerman1988

from what I am seeing from other people on the dell forums is that it should work just fine and I might need to update the bios to support the T8300 CPU. Now I just need to figure out if I should upgrade that or upgrade my 8400m gs to 8600m gt