Upgrading computer $500CAD budget

lemon07r

I need a new psu (my old one is crapping up, HEC COMPUCASE BAD).
A new vid card (need more juice from my 4850!)
A new cpu cooler (it runshot)
And a some RAM (2gigs isnt cutting it :p)

Im looking at these 2 psu's, iam going to be buying a 6950 1gb, so keep that in mind. Im leaning towards the diablotek cause of its 2x6pin cables, and because its fully sleaved as for the topower, i have heard good things about it plus it says's 'atx v2.3'where as the diablotek says 'atx v2.2'. Whats the diference?
Topower Nano TOP650M
EDIT: Ive decided on topower, ive heard bad things about diablotek and good things about topower, plus topower seems to take in less amp and output more amps then the diablotek.

Il be compressing a few large archives (7zip lzma2), but gaming mostly.
Im looking at buy either 1 or 2 sets of this ram:
G.Skill CL7-7-7-21 1333mhz @ 1.5v 2x4gb
EDIT: Ive made a decision to buy 1 set of these. (8gb)

As for a videocard im deciding on either this
EDIT: choosing a gtx 570. help?

I need a new cooler, im deciding between these two:
CM Hyper 212+
and this one
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284F HYPRO
Whats a hypro bearing fan? let me restate that, how is it any good? (other then reliability and longitivity)

Im buying from newegg.ca btw.

Last edited:

Charr

Your links aren't working for me, and yes 16GB of ram is extreme overkill. The most I'd ever consider getting is 8GB, and even than its overkill.

I'm running 2x2GB 1866 corsair dominator, and using a phenom II x6 running at 4.0GHz, and everything loads in a flash, I'd had no issues with well.... anything using 4GB. That's using a dual monitor setup, and I multitask like crazy. 8GB isn't even a consideration for me, and wont be for years to come.

I helped my friend build a computer a weekish ago and he used these parts and so far, work flawlessly.

GPU
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909

PSU (A little more watts than is required, but I prefer to spend a few bucks to buy a PSU that can run low stress. I've gone through too many PSU's by cheaping out...)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002

Memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Heatsink (He isn't using this, but I've heard good things about it, and plan on buying my own soon. I also heard it takes up a LOT of room, so make sure it can even fit into your case if you consider it.)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

Subtotal: $423.46 CAD (Not including tax) - $50.00 for rebates.

Last edited:

lemon07r

I fixed my links!
As for the gpu, i find that a 6870 isnt much improvement over the 4850, the psu is a little pricey, ram id like 8gigs rather then 4gigs, and lastly I have had a terrible experience with my zalman cu7500, it come with terrible TIM and instructions.
But thanks for the input, it really made me think things over twice, for instance I now realize 16gb is a little overkill, i think il go far 8gigs.
I have also decided to go 'green' and try nvidia, i hear the drivers are good, my dad has been using his BFG 8600gt for a while now without any problems. So now I am deciding between the 560 and 570.

Darkne55

A few years ago I purchased a 1000wt psu that was manufactured by BFG. As you may or may not know, BFG has a lifetime warranty on most if not all of their products. (not sure if that applies to outside the USA). They've already replaced it once. Plus they also replaced a 8800gtx too.

Only reason I'm even sharing this is to kinda give an example to what Charr said when he said
A little more watts than is required, but I prefer to spend a few bucks to buy a PSU that can run low stress. I've gone through too many PSU's by cheaping out...
Words to live by.
Whatever you buy, sounds like you're going to have one nice rig when you're through. (are we ever through?)

Darkne55

Okedokey

The ToPower PSU is a POS and insuffiicient for the upgrade.

Linkin's suggestions are excellent.

You will also need a 64Bit OS to deal with that memory addressing.

linkin

VIP Member
The ToPower PSU is a POS and insuffiicient for the upgrade.

Linkin's suggestions are excellent.

You will also need a 64Bit OS to deal with that memory addressing.

haha I completely forgot about that. Kinda takes a large chunk of the budget away, but of course you can re-use your current version for a while, or save an extra $100 for an OEM copy of home premium 64 bit.

lemon07r

Last edited: