Upgrading Computer: Questions

Warriorhazzard

I am upgrading my current computer due to the fact that I sent back my videocard and will try to get the refund (Who said warranty is not worth it?)

With the new video cards that are PCI Express 2.0, I will need a new video card...because from what I have understood and read 2.0 will not fit in PCI Express

Anyway..I have some questions

Video-Card Related:

Open GL- Is newer really better? I am between 2.0 and 2.1 (not much difference from what I read) but now I see 3.0 came out this August -
~ Should I stick with 2.1 and not worry about 3.0? :D

DirectX - I was left behind at the opening of DirectX10, now I see Newegg has a few DirectX 10.1 (On ATI cards) -
~ Should I get an ATI card with 10.1 or is the difference not much? It is hardware right? :p

Motherboard Related:

Of course I need to choose a video card that will fit into a new motherboard, and along with a new motherboard comes new ram (maybe?)

~ Does it matter on choosing the Northbridge?

I currently have the CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (Which lowered in price dramatically!) and I don't know if I should keep that, or upgrade to the DDR3 stuff (RAM 101 doesnt talk much about it - Noooo! :eek:)

~ Will the DDR2 work with any Mobo? (Just run at DDR2....speed & stuff)

~ Choosing BUS speed...how to do it?

RAM Related:

If I do go for the DDR3 sticks then what? The higher the number the better? XD (Here comes the higher the number the more sales)

----

Although my budget is roughly about $300ish I want my Updated Gaming Rig to last me, lets see 2 more years..

Cant believe it's been 2 years! :eek:

Thank you
Warrior :cool:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
With the new video cards that are PCI Express 2.0, I will need a new video card...because from what I have understood and read 2.0 will not fit in PCI Express
PCI Express 2.0 is backward-forward compatible, you can shove a PCI-E2.0 card in a PCI-E1.1 slot and.or a PICE-1.1 card in a PCIE-E2.0 slot.