Upgrading from OCZ 6gb Triple Gold

Aastii

VIP Member
its for gaming, and also for my work. I run lots of applications and lots of processes at once

I have 4GB, and have Chrome with several tabs open, Rift, Minecraft, Steam, TeamSpeak, Zune, Xonar audio centre. I have yet to see it go over 70% usage.

I had 8GB about a year back and that didn't go over 50%. My system wasn't using more, Windows was just reserving more. It wasn't any quicker, slower or any more or less responsive, it made 0 difference because no programs use that much memory, even if you have lots of things open at once.

To explain, I currently have:

Chrome with 7 tabs. 3 are forums, 2 are google searches, one is a youtube video, one is a live stream.
Steam
Xfire
TeamSpeak
Rift

65% usage
Xonar

hankweed

hmm well i still want 12 gb ram just to say i have 12 gb of ram lol :) But can you give me some info on the specification of ram like what each specification generally does. Like what does cas latency, Timing, unbuffered, registered, and the number like 1600 or 1333 after the DDR3, what does each mean, is lower latency typically betteR?

claptonman

To want to spend $125 just to say you can is beyond me, but hey, its your hard earned money, spend it the way you want. You could upgrade other parts of your system that would actually benefit, but hey, up to you.

You want the highest speed (1333, 1600) that your motherboard can handle, but with the lowest timing (The 7-7-7-21, or whatever) and lowest voltage. 1.5 V is the standard, so that's what you want to look for.

hankweed

hmm i found ripjwas that have 7 cas latency and timing. but the speed is 1333. is that still good? like is it worth the 7 latency. cuz i cant find ram that is 1600 and 7 timing..unless its like 300 dollars xD.

hankweed

woah, hmm i have an intel i7 920 2.8 running on a asus p6t motherboard. Is there a limit on memory speed on the i7?