Upgrading my computer

TooMuchButtHair

Right now, I have a P4 1.8GHz (single threaded), 512 MB of Ram, and an GeForce 5700. I downloaded a demo of Battlefield 2 and REALLY liked it, but I was stuck at the lowest graphics settings :( . It ran without any lag at all, but I want to know if the full game will run on my computer (without lag). My internet connection isn't a problem (4.22 MBPS download, and around 700 kbs upload, according to http://myspeed.visualware.com/ ).

I THINK I'd have to add a better video card - probably a card in the Ge 6 series. I'd really like to avoid having to upgrade the Mobo, but your suggestions are more than welcome.

EDIT - I should have added that I can spend, at the MOST 450 bucks. As for the video card, how does the 256-bit NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTS G3 sound? Or should I go with 512MB 6800? Can I get away with somethign less than the 6800?

Last edited:

Tha Killa

I doubt your CPU will be able to do it at higher settings. BF2 is a newer game and is more demanding.

Dilly man 2

Yes, bf2 is demanding and you will most likely need more ram, faster cpu and the graphics card will be ok for now
but within a year, "saying all you play is bf2" you wil be forced to upgrade.

and yes, a 6800 gt would work fine

Dilly man 2

AMD 3200
6800 GT
1gig RAM "try your best to avoid value ram"

do you want a new computer, or are you just upgrading it?

Geoff

VIP Member
Is your video card PCI or AGP? if its PCI then your going to need a new motherboard if you want to see a fair amount of improvemence.

TooMuchButtHair

Dilly man 2 said:
AMD 3200
6800 GT
1gig RAM "try your best to avoid value ram"

do you want a new computer, or are you just upgrading it?

Looks like I might need to go with a new computer. That's ok, I've gotten a LOT of use out of this one.