Urgh my OS is a mess

PhotonCrasher

Urgh my OS is a mess, I have a 64gb ssd as my c drive, and I try to instal most my program's ina folder I made on my f drive (1tb) called program files, which I think is fine, it's just that I'm running out of space on my ssd, and is there and way to put the users folder that is on my ssd into the f drive, so that when for example I place something on the desktop it is saved to the f drive instead of the c drive, thanks for your help,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Anything placed on your desktop should actually be a shortcut to the actual program, not the program itself. Have you moved all your documents and music off the SSD?

PhotonCrasher

Anything placed on your desktop should actually be a shortcut to the actual program, not the program itself. Have you moved all your documents and music off the SSD?

No of course ii dont keep programs on my desktop, but all the little things stil add up, all I'm really wondering, is that is there a way to put my users folder into my f drive

jamesd1981

if you are really pushed for space maybe you should try using more portable non install programs, lots of programs have portable versions, ccleaner, cdburner xp, defraggler, vlc media player, skype etc

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Why don't you simply install your programs in the F: drive then instead of C:?
99% of programs give you an ability to choose where to install them...

Fin-Man

Have you tried clearing all of your temp files and browser cache? Also, windows puts a paging(swap) file on the OS drive which can be moved. All of these can add up to a ton of disk space.

Last edited:

lawson_jl

Also if you have an SSD and install your programs on a spinning drive then your defeating the purpose of having an SSD drive. Install ALL your programs on your SSD but move your media (music, movies, pictures) on the SSD drive. You can tell windows to point your Documents folder to the 1TB traditional hard drive and it will happen automatically. Be sure to also change your temp file settings in your browser and enable the trim mode in your OS.