USB cord question

hdansjr

ok, here's the situation. I purchased for my brother this really nice and very expensive webcam for his b'day this year. Well long story short, his ex-girlfriend got ticked off and cut the USB cord to the camera yesterday. Now, he was going to throw it away, but i took it in case I could possibly fix it. Is it possible to fix the USB cord? It was a clean cut by the way, in case that matters. I just dont' want to attempt to fix it and have him plug it in and then his computer get messed up, if that could happen.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
thread moved to computer accessories

----

and it depends on what connections the webcam uses, sometimes they have a mini control box inline on the cord, before that box there are tons of wires all carrying different things, if thats the case then no you cant, if it is a fairly average one it may only use the 4 USB wires, alternatively if you can visibly see where each wire was cut form, crack open the soldering iron and shove em back together.

Other than that, theres not much else you can do

dragon

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm sure you could fix it, but you need to know what wires are what... Do you still have both ends of the cut wire? if so, it'd be very easy to splice them back together.

hdansjr

ok, yeah i have both ends of the wire. I can clearly tell the wires apart cause the outside of the wire is two different colors, so when I have the black side up, I can tell which wires are which. there appears to be 4 wires and I can tell which ones were which, so i'll just give it a go and soder them back together. Thanks!

Bobo

banned
I wouldn't recommend soldering them, just strip the wires and splice them together, and tape it up with electrical tape.

Bobo

banned
Yea, but solder can really make a mess, and it's difficult to do with wires like that.

Make sure it works before you solder them, if you do.