User switching XP help

compulsiveguile

Recently (I believe due to some spyware/virus) I have had some problems with my computer. My sound card was sometimes not recognized, the taskbar display would change, and other strange events would occur. I updated and ran a complete sweep with AVG, ran a full scan with Ad-aware, and utilized a couple other apps. I fixed all the other problems, but recently my computer started rebooting when switching users (XP). When I click switch user, the screen goes to the typical Windows sign on screen and all looks well. However, when I click on another user, my computer simply reboots. Completely logging the user off works fine but not the fast user switch. I have tried enabling and disabling fast user switch, but nothing changed. Any help would be great. Thanks!

subtle

Go to:
Start > Run > services.msc > check if "Fast User Switching" and "Terminal Services" are set to automatic.

compulsiveguile

I did check that. Both were set to manual, and I changed them to automatic. It didn't fix the problem though. Computer still reboots when I switch user and try to load another user name. Any other help you could give me? Any help would be great thanks!

compulsiveguile

I'm not sure I know exactly what you're talking about, but I think I may have an idea. In regard to the first one, I don't believe so. This is simply my home computer. In regard to the second, I'm not really sure. How does this apply, and how do I check this?

holdenssx

I think your right, if it is just you home computer you most likely wont be part of a domain. And I looked into it more and with 1gb of RAM sharing main memor and graphics memory shouldnt be a problem.

If you go to control panel, then to user accounts, select change the way users log on or off, and make sure the "Use the Welcome screen" box is checked

Last edited: