Using a fan?

god008

With my side panel off, should it be advisable for me to use a fan blowing into it, I mean I will space it about 12 inches away.

My dad said long term this will screw my computer up as they are meant to be functioned in this manner. Otherwise, I don't know if there are any negative effects.

Otherwise, I consider putting my case back on and having some thermal paste but I doubt it will help.

(By the way, I get like 65-79 degrees on CSS and I got 86 on Halo, I was really suprised)

4W4K3

VIP Member
The main disadvantage there is that you will be allowing more dust in your computer. Also, if you don't have a magnet free motor on your fan, the air it blows into your computer can be statically charged and have long term effects.

So if you're good at cleaning out your PC regularly of dust and grime, and you have a magnet free fan, I think you'll be just fine. I used this method for a long time and never had any recognizable side effects from it.

Yasu

Wow, those temps are VERY high and dangerous. Taking the panel of and having a fan blowing into your case will drop your temps a few degrees but is also going to blow a lot more dust in there. My opinion is that you do that temporarily while you search for a better way to cool down your PC. What CPU do you have?

I have actually done this and my temps dropped about 10°C on the highest fan setting.
poor-cooling.jpg

god008

I don't know if mine's magnetic or not, it's a Holmes, AeroMAX Airflow Technology fan.

Where do you mean when you clean dust, do you mean the bottom and the fans?

I'm afraid of messing my graphic card and the other stuff

4W4K3

VIP Member
Dust tends to gather on the motherboard, in fan blades, and definetly in heatsink fins. Pretty much anywhere that isn't air sealed or cut off from air circulation. A good leaf blower will get the majority of clots out, the rest usually I do by hand with toothpicks, isopropyl alcohol, and Q-Tips.

fade2green514

that shouldn't hurt it at all. i don't think it will make enough of a difference, i'd just leave the side panel on. of course, i have 3x 120mm fans, 2x 80mm's, an nv silencer as an extra exahaust... for my case.
of course, i also have 2x 92mm's on my proc.. ones temp controlled :) FANCY!

god008

THe Heatsink is the thing under the graphic card? Hm, I only really use q-tips to clean it up, I think I'll put the side panel back on because I don't think temps are lowered that significantly.