vdeo card comparison

87dtna

Shipping is fast. I typically get something I order within 2 business days. They always ship UPS 3 day select, so it's never gonna take more than 3 days.

As for the monitor, well that all depends on what size you want. The best value per dollar IMO is a 21.5'' 1080p monitor.

This one is on sale until the end of the week, a sweet deal at $150 shipped-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009264

There's also a 23'' 1080p for $160 shipped-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824114004

Acer makes Emachine's monitor's so don't worry there.

Whatever you do, ATLEAST get a 1680x1050 monitor.

osnola

wow, thank you so much for all this info. this has really helped alot.

I just cant figure out what video card. i don't know why but i am just stuck.

well here is my setup, what do you think,

Intel I7-930X
x-58 SLI LE
Samsung spinpoint 1tb
g.skill pi series 6gb DDR3
corsair TX series 950tx 950watt
acer 6215habd 21.5" wide lcd
radeon 5870 by gigabyte (or gtx 480??)
logitech g15 keyboard
RAT 7 mouse
raidmax smilidon extreme black case

total cost: $ 1615

worth it? if it runs as good as i am expecting... hell yes!

87dtna

I would seriously just get a gtx460 1gb for now, it eats 1920x1080 for breakfast.

It's half the price of a 5870 or gtx480, and down the road if graphics start to lack, get another one to put in SLI. Two gtx460's in SLI is better than one gtx480, for the same price.

You seem to like gigabyte LOL so go with this one-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333

It's factory overclocked too, so performance will be around a 5850 which is a very strong card and will play pretty much anything at any settings at 1080p. The gtx 480 runs VERY hot, and consumes tons of power. Pretty much the same for the 5870, not quite as bad, but it's overpriced for it's performance at this point.

Trust me man, I run 21.5'' 1080p monitors, and the gtx460 is WAY plenty strong. It's small, consumes very little power, and doesn't get real hot.

osnola

ok so i know sli uses both cards. but on another post some one guy said to me that not all games use that feature. he said some games can only take advantage to one card.

and how do you link both cards? through software? or physically. and how would you do that? lol

87dtna

ok so i know sli uses both cards. but on another post some one guy said to me that not all games use that feature. he said some games can only take advantage to one card.

and how do you link both cards? through software? or physically. and how would you do that? lol

A single gtx460 1gb can play any game currently out on 1080p without breaking a sweat.
There are only a handfull of games that don't scale SLI well, but pretty much any new game and future games have code built in because it's getting more popular now. So basically, any game that doesn't scale SLI well a single gtx460 plays no problem anyway.

are 2 gtx 460's better than a 5870?

If you get two 1gb's, then yes easily better than a 5870.

But seriously dude, don't waste the money now you won't need too. When you will finally need to upgrade, the gtx460's will be a lot cheaper then. No point in getting two of them now, big waste.

osnola

thank you man.... you've been very helpful, in fact more helpful than anyone i have talked to about computers. i am ordering that monitor tomorrow before the sale runs out..... so here is my new setup

intel i7-930
X-58 sli le
samsung spinpoint 1tb
g. skill pi series 6gb ddr3
corsair tx seires 950 tx 950 watt
acer g215habd 21.5inch
gtx 460 x2 sli
g15 keyboard
R.A.T. 7 mouse
raidmax smilidon extreme black

approx cost 1655 USD :eek:

how the hell am i gonna afford games lol....

87dtna

Just buy one gtx460 for now, it will be plenty strong enough for 1080p. Then you'll have money left over for games.

osnola

hhah yea that was the plan.... lol the second one to "future proof".... so now i got money for project reality and crysis lol.... thank you so much for helping you deserve a prize lol.... seriously thanks man.....hopefully in a few weeks i will have some new threads :) showing my parts and asking how to build it lol... thank you so much for your help.:)