Verizon HTC 8x bluetooth internet tethering... can it do it?

d3adpoetic

I currently have a Nexus 7 (non-rooted) and Thunderbolt (rooted). When I'm not connected to Wifi i have them set up to use bluetooth to tether the 4g connection over to the Nexus. I'm up for an upgrade relatively soon (March), and I'm strongly leaning towards WP8. I've watched\read plenty of reviews for the 8x and others, none of which mention the bluetooth tethering (not surprised they didn't).

My question is does the 8x support sharing it's internet connection over bluetooth? Is that an Android thing, or universal to bluetooth?

Thanks.

Geoff

VIP Member
What plan do you have with Verizon, one of the new share everything plans? If you don't, then most likely tethering is not including in part of your plan so you won't be able to tether if you keep your phone stock. I believe all phones these days have at least a built in wireless hotspot which works 10x better than bluetooth wireless tethering, but only works if you have the appropriate plan.

With Android there are several workarounds for both rooted and non-rooted phones, but I don't know if WP8 has that kind of dev support.

d3adpoetic

Thx for the reply. I don't have tethering in my plan, or a share everything plan (plan started in 2011). My phone is rooted with a custom ICS ROM so that might have something to do with it. I'm not interested in WiFi tether because that costs money (especially if the WP8 phone can't be rooted/hacked). Currently I'm using a profile scheduler to have the Bluetooth turn on and connect when not in range of certain WiFi networks. If there are WiFi hotspot apps that can do that let me know. I guess I'll have to wait and find out if it works with WP8. It's by no means a deal breaker, I'm just curious.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thx for the reply. I don't have tethering in my plan, or a share everything plan (plan started in 2011). My phone is rooted with a custom ICS ROM so that might have something to do with it. I'm not interested in WiFi tether because that costs money (especially if the WP8 phone can't be rooted/hacked). Currently I'm using a profile scheduler to have the Bluetooth turn on and connect when not in range of certain WiFi networks. If there are WiFi hotspot apps that can do that let me know. I guess I'll have to wait and find out if it works with WP8. It's by no means a deal breaker, I'm just curious.
If you're running a custom ROM most likely it has built in wireless tethering that bypasses any checks from the carrier.

d3adpoetic

I know I think it does, but I'm not interested in WiFi tethering if it can't start and connect automatically when switching to a different profile like I already have setup with the BT tethering.