VGA Extension Lead

pcmagic

I have a Acer-X223HQ monitor and it's resolution is 1920 x 1080.

My problem is, when I attach a VGA extension lead from the monitor to the VGA Cable to the Computer it changes the screen resolution and name of the monitor to 'generic non-pnp monitor'. No input is available above 1024 x 768.

The reason I' want to use an small extension lead is for two reasons, 1 because I have just moved my monitor and I have the lead available - 2 because I want to switch between my Computer and Xbox now and again so instead of mocking around with the monitor port, I just thought it would be easier and better to use the extension.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks!!!

pcmagic

The drivers are already installed. Without the extension cable I.E. hooked up normally it shows as Acer at 1920 x 1080 .

Perhaps do you mean put the extension cable in and install drivers again?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure the extension cable is causing the issue. What extension did you get?

pcmagic

Perhaps it's more so the gender adapter that is turning it into plug and play? I would need to buy another vga with female to male to find out?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would buy the correct extension cable instead of using a gender changer adapter. My guess is that its the gender changer causing it.

gsdgsag

1) Upgrade your graphics driver.

Still problems?
2) Try a new cable.

Still problems?
3) Try it with another PC.

Still problems?
4) If none of this works, it is probably a hardware issue with the monitor. If I were you, I would return it immediately if none of the above things work.

--

UPDATE:
I saw now you said it was an extension cable, but it works fine without the extension.

ANSWER: The problem is clearly with the extension cable (or the adapter).

Steps to resolve:

1) BUY A LONGER CABLE. Don't ever use extensions. Ebay has long cables for cheap!!!
2) SUCCESS!!!

--

Quick ebay search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25FT-25-FT-...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4cfe9fbf82

25ft = $7.49 + free ship within USA

Another ebay search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50FT-50-FT-...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4cfe3d1d2a

50ft = $9.45 + free ship within USA

--

p.s. I don't work for those companies; you could do your own ebay search, just search "25 vga cable" or "50 vga cable" or whatever length you want (without quotes).

Last edited: