video card for graphics/rendering

ecory

Hi, I'm a first time poster here and will be buying a desktop in a month or two and I'm looking for advice on what video card to get. I will be doing a lot of graphics work with Photoshop and Illustrator as well as 3D modeling and rendering. I also tend to do a lot of multitasking. My budget is about $1000 for the entire desktop and I prefer to not be an energy guzzler if I can help it (I'd like to keep my power supply around the 350 watt mark if possible).

Most of the recommendations are based on gaming rather than graphics work and I just have no idea what cards to consider beyond knowing that I want more than an integrated card.

what do you all think?

littlenlnga

Hi, I'm a first time poster here and will be buying a desktop in a month or two and I'm looking for advice on what video card to get. I will be doing a lot of graphics work with Photoshop and Illustrator as well as 3D modeling and rendering. I also tend to do a lot of multitasking. My budget is about $1000 for the entire desktop and I prefer to not be an energy guzzler if I can help it (I'd like to keep my power supply around the 350 watt mark if possible).

Most of the recommendations are based on gaming rather than graphics work and I just have no idea what cards to consider beyond knowing that I want more than an integrated card.

what do you all think?

radeon hd 3850

jimkonow

well, the 3850 isnt exactly a workstation card.
youre definitely gonna have to up your power to around 500w to have a stable system and a workstation card running...sorry to be the one to tell you.
lemmie put a system together for you....im assuming you live in the US?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The 8800gt, on par with the $400-500 8800gtx, would be great. It's not a workstation card, but it's damn powerful, and for $240, I don't know that you could get a CAD card that compares. More good news; it only requires a 400w, +12v@26 amperes.

The 512mb of VRAM it sports should help tons.

ecory

Thanks hermeslyre, I'll look at the 8800gt. It's good to have a starting point. There are so many different cards out there it's a bit overwhelming.