Video card heat

gamerman4

well ATi says it can go well over 90C but don't trust em. I try to keep it below 70C. remember, for every 10C you keep it at *average*, it's lifespan is halfed.

Prof Pwnsworth

thats a general rule of tumb, but ive heard as low as an increase in 5C will half the lifespan. I cant be quite sure about it but my dad is a physicist and thats where i got my info from.

Vampiric Rouge

gamerman4 said:
well ATi says it can go well over 90C but don't trust em. I try to keep it below 70C. remember, for every 10C you keep it at *average*, it's lifespan is halfed.
well I have it running around 43c
What do you mean buy for every 10c you keep it at its lifespan is halfed?

Qlutch

Well... a major issue that can arise with high heat is the capacitors on your card expanding and eventually bursting (by bursting I don't mean blowing up and shooting shrapnel everywhere, they just begin to leak what is inside them.) The time it takes for this to happen is significantly decreased by having a lower ambient temperature around your card.

Archangel

VIP Member
Qlutch said:
Well... a major issue that can arise with high heat is the capacitors on your card expanding and eventually bursting (by bursting I don't mean blowing up and shooting shrapnel everywhere, they just begin to leak what is inside them.) The time it takes for this to happen is significantly decreased by having a lower ambient temperature around your card.

well... capasitors have a sort of linen with isolating material on them, so they cant leak. ( but if they burst, the distance between the conductor plates if different, so the C value wouldnt be the same).. and mosy capasitors can easely take a heat of 90*C. i have a very very old Tv over here.l with loads of ELCO's in it, it already runns for 30 years now, and it gets damn hot inside.. but no broken Capasitor yet.
( well.. some SMD capasitors can Burst.. but thats because of a to high voltage.. not because of heat )

the only way i blew up Capasitors till now was by putting them on a 40V -40A PSU ( 1600W ) :D.

the only thing that will die faster with heat is the Fan on the Card. because the bearings wear of faster.

Qlutch

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. However, I have seen numerous motherboards at work and school with expanded capacitors with a sort of fluid leaked out of them. What is this caused by?

Archangel

VIP Member
well.. lower quality ELCO's (well.. in the netherlands they are called like that.)
can leak if theyre getting old. also.. you have to thread those capasitors righ. or you damage them. so i think because it were school pc's, thwe power is just swiched of all the time and such stuff. that can damage them.
but, do you know what brand the mainboards were?

Qlutch

Yes, they all were Asus.

Oh, and one of my friends has the same problem on his computer, which has a MSI motherboard.

Archangel

VIP Member
you can try Everst. but also in the driver's of the card ius a temperature monitor. however.. your card must have a temperature sensor on it. :)

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i wouldn't get worried about graphics card temps unless you get instability or your temps are stupidly high, like 80+ degrees.

i have a 6600gt and the card is designed to throttle back at 127 degrees; i would be very concerned if it got to that temperature. i cant believe that 10 degrees celcius would half the lifespan of a card.... sounds like scaremongering to me

Archangel

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
i wouldn't get worried about graphics card temps unless you get instability or your temps are stupidly high, like 80+ degrees.

the core slowdown temp of my 6800GT is set at 127*C stock. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can view the temperature sensor (assuming your card has one and it's enabled) under display properties -> settings -> advanced -> GeForce 6600GT Tab -> Temperature Settings

and for the record the driver default slowdown temp for my 6600GT is 145C

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I would know that if I read the first page :rolleyes: (saw someone with a 6600GT asking figured they were the topic starter)

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
Well, I would know that if I read the first page :rolleyes: (saw someone with a 6600GT asking figured they were the topic starter)

Yeah, i was using it as a comparison. I couldn't personally comment on ATI products so i talked about what i knew about :)