Video files crash Media Players

BobsYourUncle

I am trying to figure out why I suddenly cannot play any video files:

All was well on a recent hardware upgrade - new mboard, CPU, RAM, video cards etc. A brand new system and a clean install of XP Pro with all the updates & patches. Video files played fine - no problem.

Now when I try to play them in WMP, Winamp or Nero Showtime, I get an immediate crash of the media player. It does it to all of them. I tried playing video I have played before - same result.

I recently bought and installed the full blown version of Nero 9 and did a large music CD project. Everything worked well through the whole project and it wasn't until after I was done that the problem started.

I went to MS and installed the latest DirectX. Prior to that I also tried a system restore to a date prior to when the problem occurred.

I'm thinking maybe a codec issue but all was well until about 2 weeks ago. There were no new changes to trigger the problem.

I used Sandboxie to run a music download program that I used when I bought my tunes. Reason is I don't trust music download sites and Sandboxie will run the program without permanently writing something to the hard drive.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of issue?