Virus has taken over computer

mustardgas

Hello,

I just contracted one of those virus-disguised-as-virus-protection viruses. The virus won't allow me to access the internet, or run malwarebytes. Right now, I'm using my roommate's computer. However, I am able to use my computer just fine in safe mode with networking. I'm not using my pc now because it's currently recovering from an overheating spell.

Please help. I need my pc for college distance learning classes. I didn't contract the virus by doing anything reckless. All I did was try to access what I thought was Austin360.com (a site for the arts in Austin, TX), only to be redirected to some scam website that instantly contaminated my pc.

Help!

Thanks.

-mgas

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You may need to download this from an uninfected pc and transfer it your computer via a usb flash drive. Please do the following.

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

mustardgas

So I should download one of the Rkill files from this pc I'm using now (which is clean) onto a flash drive, and upload the file onto my infected PC in regular mode, or safe mode?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Running it in safe mode probably would be easier but do not reboot the system until you make sure malwarebytes is updated and you run a quick scan. Then you can reboot in normal mode and we can finish making sure your system is clean.

mustardgas

Currently running a malwarebytes scan in safe mode. In the meantime, here's a copy of the rkill log, for what it's worth:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 05/29/2011 at 22:17:15.
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

\\?\C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WMIADAP.EXE

Rkill completed on 05/29/2011 at 22:17:24.

mustardgas

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6717

Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

5/29/2011 10:33:41 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-29 (22-33-41).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 164964
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Tkalehudafugah (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Value: Tkalehudafugah -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Security Protection (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Value: Security Protection -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Jkumopacajuhiqij (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Value: Jkumopacajuhiqij -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\Users\filmmaker\AppData\Local\SOSvige.dll (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\Desktop\null0.8955993027238737.exe (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\AppData\Local\temp\jar_cache4476200177386938868.tmp (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\local settings\SOSvige.dll (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\local settings\application data\SOSvige.dll (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\AppData\Roaming\defender.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\AppData\Local\temp\0.06249654165112939.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\filmmaker\AppData\Local\ewomodor.dll (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Currently rebooting infected pc.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Post a hijackthis log for me.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces

mustardgas

I tried installing HiJackThis, but- unless the older version I had was replaced by this newly installed version- it seems the installation didn't do anything. The version I have right now is 2.0.4. Will that suffice?

mustardgas

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:24:35 PM, on 5/29/2011
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18602)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Windows\system32\WTablet\Wacom_TabletUser.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe
C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinRouterMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMYPRT.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HpqSRmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinSetup.exe
C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SCServer\SCServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\InputPersonalization.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksWP.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\WkDStore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\wkgdcach.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USCON/1
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - {66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZone.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: PlaySushi - {21608B66-026F-4DCB-9244-0DACA328DCED} - C:\Program Files\PlaySushi\PSText.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - {66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZone.dll
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
O2 - BHO: ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar - {8A4A36C2-0535-4D2C-BD3D-496CB7EED6E3} - C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\TrustChecker\bin\TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\YTSingleInstance.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - {66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZone.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZoneAlarm Security Engine - {EE2AC4E5-B0B0-4EC6-88A9-BCA1A32AB107} - C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\TrustChecker\bin\TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\UpdaterStartupUtility.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS5ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\CS5ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISW] "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe" /icon="hidden"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVHotkey] rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\nvHotkey.dll,Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InstaLAN] "C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinRouterMonitor.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SwitchBoard] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Go to PlaySushi web site - {EBD24BD3-E272-4FA3-A8BA-C5D709757CAB} - C:\Program Files\PlaySushi\PSText.dll
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} -
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\System32\avgrsstx.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AffinegyService - Affinegy, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinService.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: WebEx Service Host for Support Center (atashost) - WebEx Communications, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\atashost.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ZoneAlarm Toolbar IswSvc (IswSvc) - Check Point Software Technologies - C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\IswSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Protexis Licensing V2 (PSI_SVC_2) - Protexis Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe SwitchBoard (SwitchBoard) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: TabletServiceWacom - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\Windows\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
End of file - 10117 bytes

Before starting the scan, A window popped up reading:

For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this.

If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click Start, Run, and type:

Notepad C:\Windows|System32|drivers\etc\hosts

And press Enter. Find the line(s) HijackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as ‘hosts.’ (with quotes), and reboot.

For Vista: simply, exist HijackThis, right click on the HijackThis icon, choose ‘Run as administrator’.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lets make sure we got everything. Please do the following.

Uninstall AVG as combofix will not run with avg installed, we will install a different antivirus afterwards.

Download and Run ComboFix
If you already have Combofix, please delete this copy and download it again as it's being updated regularly.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Combofix should never take more that 20 minutes including the reboot if malware is detected.

In your next reply please post:
  • The ComboFix log
  • A fresh HiJackThis log
  • An update on how your computer is running