Visible Lighting Contours in Video games, Movies, etc

Xplicit.

Hey all. I've been having an issue with seeing the visible "Contours" in lighting effects. EG in a video game cinematic, the lighting isn't a smooth gradient. I can see Visible lines between the different shades of darkness, Almost like a Contour map. The lighting isn't smooth from light-dark areas. Is there a setting that i am overlooking? Is it my monitor? It's the same across all games / videos. Please advise. Is my gamma or brightness too high? Thank you all in advance.

Thank you.

5800x

3080TI
Samsung Odyssey G5 32'' Curved monitor (lc32g5xt)

Attachments

• GH.jpg
    GH.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 6

Darren

Staff member
That's called color banding and is likely more from software I think. Shouldn't be seeing it in video games usually, but common on highly compressed video files.

Have you checked the color settings in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows Display Settings?

Xplicit.

That's called color banding and is likely more from software I think. Shouldn't be seeing it in video games usually, but common on highly compressed video files.

Have you checked the color settings in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows Display Settings?
Hey there. Is there a specific setting i am looking for? I have HDR turned on. and these are my other settings in nvidia.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 1

Darren

Staff member
Try toggling HDR. I don't have anything specific to recommend but mess around with it. Using the term "color banding" in google searches might give you better results as that's usually the term for that effect.