Vista/HD movies? FORGET IT!

randruff

Hey everyone...i've been neglecting my CF posting as of lately so i'm back, but, unfortunately, with bad news. Check out this article regarding Vista capability and graphics cards. This whole DRM crap is really starting to annoy me. You can bet that I will not be getting Vista until I absolutely have to. That Samsung LCD I bought this summer? Useless. That $520 nVidia 7800GTX? Worthless. Check it out....if you're planning on getting Vista, you may want to wait on a few hardware purchases.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Lol

Not a big deal if you ask me. I am not going to spend craploads of money on a monitor that will support 1980x1080 !! Although the article does have a point, it's painted in the blackest of blacks!

JAN :D

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Not a big deal if you ask me. I am not going to spend craploads of money on a monitor that will support 1980x1080 !! Although the article does have a point, it's painted in the blackest of blacks!
exactly, its not exaclt y ahuge problem, vista is till just under a year away, in the last 2 months weve seen so many new graphics cards come out and hit the shops, by the time cista gets here, i can almost garuntee that everyone on this forum will have upgraded GPU, and most probably at the time of vista release those cards will be properly HDCP ready.

and jan is right, that article pounds you with the bad side of it all, i bet the conversations they had with ATI and nVidia didnt only consist of them saying what was shown in that artciale, a lot of it is omitted etc...., besides, im not planning on upgrading monitor OR graphics card, i dont do that much graphics stuff on my PC to warrant that.

dragon2309 :D

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I had no plans to upgrade to vista for some time, but I still don't quite understand the problem... So it's saying computers can't support such a high resolution? Well first off I have no problems because my laptop can only go to 1024x768, and that's all I run my other LCD at :p However, I find this hard to beleive... When I get some time, I'm going to research it more, perhaps even make a little test video and see how a computer handles such resolutions now.

Yeti

VIP Member
So it's saying computers can't support such a high resolution?
It's saying that you won't be able to view HD content (in proper resolution) from HD-DVD or Blue Ray without proper hardware (ie HDCP liscensed).

randruff

dragon2309 said:
exactly, its not exaclt y ahuge problem, vista is till just under a year away, in the last 2 months weve seen so many new graphics cards come out and hit the shops, by the time cista gets here, i can almost garuntee that everyone on this forum will have upgraded GPU, and most probably at the time of vista release those cards will be properly HDCP ready.

and jan is right, that article pounds you with the bad side of it all, i bet the conversations they had with ATI and nVidia didnt only consist of them saying what was shown in that artciale, a lot of it is omitted etc...., besides, im not planning on upgrading monitor OR graphics card, i dont do that much graphics stuff on my PC to warrant that.

dragon2309 :D

Believe me, i do completely understand what you are saying and truthfully, I have no intention of watching HD movies on my PC. What I am pissed about is the fact that if I did want to, I do not have the option. A few months ago I spent a little over $1000 on a board, 7800GTX, 2 WD HDD's, and 2gb RAM. When I did this, one thing I had in mind was futureproofing my system. It's the principle of this restriction, not the practical application, that really bothers me.

Yeti

VIP Member
so yea... how about we all just start using Linux because Microsoft = lose.
lol
Not unless you have a good crack for the DRM since Linux can't have liscensed software packaged with it (required for HDCP). I have a feeling this is going to be a bit tougher to crack than with DVDs if the CableCard2.0 is any indication of things to come.
This is a scam, if it will run fine on the xbox it should run fine on the pc with XP.
I think that's a bit of a leap in logic.

Yasu

It's pretty much impossible to future proof your system since technology moves so fast. I don't really care about not being able to watch HD movies on my computer since I don't even watch any movies on it anyways. If I'm going to watch a movie I'll just use my DVD player.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I still beleive that it's possible... Ugh, why does my computer have to be down now and why couldn't I have my video editor here!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
randruff said:
Believe me, i do completely understand what you are saying and truthfully, I have no intention of watching HD movies on my PC. What I am pissed about is the fact that if I did want to, I do not have the option. A few months ago I spent a little over $1000 on a board, 7800GTX, 2 WD HDD's, and 2gb RAM. When I did this, one thing I had in mind was futureproofing my system. It's the principle of this restriction, not the practical application, that really bothers me.

Nothing personal but if you where worried about future proofing your system then you should have purchase cheaper video cards and waited for a Direct X 10 card to be released. I'm at the point where I would like to purchase a 7800GT card but in order to do that I need a motherboard (approx. $118. for a decent Asus mobo) and I'm not sure If I should just wait for DX10.

randruff

Blue said:
Nothing personal but if you where worried about future proofing your system then you should have purchase cheaper video cards and waited for a Direct X 10 card to be released. I'm at the point where I would like to purchase a 7800GT card but in order to do that I need a motherboard (approx. $118. for a decent Asus mobo) and I'm not sure If I should just wait for DX10.

You are 100% correct Blue. At the time though, I was in a unique position. eVGA offers a trade-up system for their cards. You have 90 days to trade your card in, for the full value you paid, for a better card. I initially purchased an AGP 6800Ultra and had 6 days to go in my trade-in time window, thus, I had to make a rather impulsive decision. Of course, a new PCI-e card meant a new board....and if i was getting a new board, I was going all out. That's how I ended up purchasing all of that.

Back to topic.....I understand that the vast majority of us are not going to watch HD-DVDs on our PC systems. From a practical standpoint, it does not make much sense. With that said, I really think people need to not be complacent with the whole DRM phenomenon. Just because you, as an individual, are not going to be effected by it does not make it ok. As I stated before, in principle, it's a terrible thing. Can you imagine buying a car and Ford tells you "Enjoy this sh!tty Taurus and...oh yea....the engine will only run at 25% capacity until you purchase a new Ford discombobulator and a new Ford injectatron 8billion". (Now, if only those were real car parts LOL) The point being, PC stands for personal computer. You purchase (or build) a computer, it should become yours to do what you would like with it. If you choose to use it as a tool to violate the law, that is your knowledgable decision. We have laws that pose penalties for such actions. How is that fair at all to the consumer to be forced to purchase a product (hardware)? Where does the personal invasion stop?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Just because you, as an individual, are not going to be effected by it does not make it ok.

Agreed.

Can you imagine buying a car and Ford tells you "Enjoy this sh!tty Taurus and...oh yea....the engine will only run at 25% capacity until you purchase a new Ford discombobulator and a new Ford injectatron 8billion".

But they already do this. There are certain parts for no ryme nor reason can only be purchased at the dealer for waaaaaaay to much money. I remember replaceing a Emergency break cable on a Nissan Sentra (cannot remember year) and I was able to buy half the system at Canadian Tire (2 piece cable system). I was then told I could not purchase the other half anywhere but the dealer (maybe could have at scrap yard). I then payed just a few $$ over $100. for a 3 foot cable!. Point is this happens already.

I agree with you however and am in no way trying to create an argument against you.

I have not read anything on this in some time however this information has been made available awhile back now ;). I believe I read that you can watch the HD content but it would not be in HD Quality. I hope this is true as I would like to be able to remain backing up movies etc. even if my machine won't allow me to watch it in HD Quality. Anyone know anything about this? Perhaps I'll go Googleing later.

Dr Studly

banned
can someone explain this to me in english pleaaaaaase?

and then tell me if the pc in my signature will work with vista...
then tell me if my Philips 17" CRT monitor will work at 1280x1024 resolution

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Encore4More said:
can someone explain this to me in english pleaaaaaase?

and then tell me if the pc in my signature will work with vista...
then tell me if my Philips 17" CRT monitor will work at 1280x1024 resolution

Yes it will work with Vista and yes your CRT will work at that resolution.