Vista is a Failure

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

PLZ - MOD - move this thread elsewhere ;)

Well I will wait and see for myself. I would still have Vista over Linux or MacOSX anyday ;) If it has improvements over XP, then the choice is quite clear to me. Not delivering what has been perceived to be promised is nothing major in the business world anyway :p

JAN :D

4W4K3

VIP Member
You'd seriously want Vista over ANY Linux distro? I've fallen in love with Ubuntu, I've never used a better OS. I already have the 64-bit version for the future when I get a 64-bit PC, it can only get better.

I don't see the hype with Vista, I have no plans to even try it unless someone brings over there PC and I can mess with it a bit.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
hehe

Well I used UBUNTU and to tell you the truth I could not be bothered to get it to work properly. The root account did not work (none of my Linux freak friends could get it to work), the display was dodgy (took ages to look right) and none of my 2 network cards got detected. I also tried SLAX and that was just unusable. THE major problem with any other OS than Windows is software availability/compatibility. Now call me weird but I do not want a system that would either:

1. Take too long to aset up
2. Force me to learn a new way of thinking :p ( I guess this is not such big deal )
3. Have a relatively small software base to choose from

I will stick with my WXP and then, when the right time comes, update to Longhorn (hate the name Vista).

P.S.: I did actually like the graphical interface of UBUNTU ;)

Last edited:

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
im holding out for vista too... as long as there improvements over what we already have im all for it... to be honest i also dont like the idea of having to emulate the windows OS in order to make games run on soething like linux

4W4K3

VIP Member
jancz3rt said:
Well I used UBUNTU and to tell you the truth I could not be bothered to get it to work properly. The root account did not work, the display was dodgy and none of my network cards got detected.

lol that's odd, those were the EXACT same problems I had with RedHat 9, no internet no matter what I did and I could not get used to anything or find anything. I hated it.

With Ubuntu I booted up and everything worked. Took maybe 2 minutes to get online and look at the forums, didn't have to install any drivers. I guess it just depends on the brand of network card you are using, as I didn't have this one with RedHat.

Apokarteron

banned
jancz3rt said:
PLZ - MOD - move this thread elsewhere ;)

Well I will wait and see for myself. I would still have Vista over Linux or MacOSX anyday ;) If it has improvements over XP, then the choice is quite clear to me. Not delivering what has been perceived to be promised is nothing major in the business world anyway :p

Ooops, sorry about that, I posted it under the CPU section...

With Linux and Solaris I didn't like the fact that whatever program I downloaded I had to drag ad drop each of the program's files to a certain folder... No installers.

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmm

AMD gs player said:
whats vista who makes it ??

Microsoft Windows Vista (tm) is the new scheduled operating system in development to eventually replace Windows XP. It's due to come out quite soon, if everything goes to plan.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hehe, so you guys where actually looking forward to vista? Man I'm running XP as long as I can, then switching to Linux :p I'll probably get vista eventually, but I don't plan to run it as my main OS...

cell4me

banned
diroga said:
wait 2 year after it is realeast and it should be fixed up a bit.
Ditto...I know a few people who have tried the beta version and they hated it, said it was way to bloated used over 400mb of ram just sitting idle!

You also know there are going to be holes galore that every script kiddie in the world is going to exploit!

diroga

cell4me said:
You also know there are going to be holes galore that every script kiddie in the world is going to exploit!

thats why i waited for XP SP2 come out befor i swiched from win2k

cell4me

banned
The nice thing about it though is it will take the heat off XP because everyone will be writing viruses for vista...
80.gif

Christian Darrall

Man I'm running XP as long as I can, then switching to Linux

good on you, i wanna run linux because its so free and trustworthy, i got to admit, but xp just showed that the other windows suck, why add blue tollbars???? to start a craze?????? or to make it sell faster, i think we all know the answer to that. your processors will be working hard on openning programs and drawing icons and shading and background services that soon windows will become so demanding people will have to go to linux.

Geoff

VIP Member
I would agree with all of you... But since im a gamer i really am thinking about switching to Vista.

Since Microsoft said that Vista wont have a GDI, games will perform 30-40% better. And also that Cyris and Halo 2 will only be available on Vista, not to mention practically any new game once Vista is realeased will only run on Vista, and not on XP.

Christian Darrall

Cyris and Halo 2
is that a good enough reason, me and my dad have found out bill gates plan all the way from windows me, every new windows is being tracked, because of the background processes, ok they seem to do there job, but there actually telling mr gates exactly what it is your doing, soon youll have to upgrade and why, because you wont have a choice.