Vista Mem problem

Binary Coder

Hi, i built a new machine, still got the one in my signature, built one just for using 3ds max, im a cgi student and needed a more powerful computer to speed up my workflow. I have two small problems, im using 4gb of Corsair 800mhz ddr2 and in the vista system information it says "Memory: 4.00gb" but when i run the multi metre sidebar app it only shows 2.5gb, as does 3d mark 06.

I have tested both sticks and they both work fine. Also i was running 3d mark 06 and it went through the graphics tests fine, but it got to the cpu test and it started going at 0-1fps. Very weird indeed. My specs are below, thanks for the help.

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600 - Energy Efficient Version
Asus P5N-D
4gb Corsair DDR2 - 800mhz
512mb XFX Geforce 8800GT (Alpha Dog Edition)
500gb Seagate Barracuda SATA2
Vista Home Premium 32bit

Cpu Idle: 29, Load: 40
Motherboard: Idle: 32, Load: 38

Thanks

Kornowski

VIP Member
Good to see another 3D Maxer ;)

How much RAM does it say you have in Task Manager. It's under the 'Performance' tab, the it's the 'Physical Memory (MB)' then the 'Total'.

Binary Coder

under task manager it says 2557mb. Is there much of a 3ds max following on here?

I just switched from Maya 2008 to 3ds max 2009. So much better, haha.

Kornowski

VIP Member
You have 32bit Vista, right? Because they don't recognize the whole 4GB. The amount they do recognize varies, sometimes it's 3.5GB and other times it can be less. I'm guess that's the case with your computer. I'd wait for somebody else to come along before taking this as the reason though. :)

Erm, No, not really. There's maybe two others, me and you. I've not used Maya before, I've seen it. Is 3DS a lot better?

Binary Coder

umm, maya is obv the main choice for movies and productions, so i have to use that and 3ds max. But i just prefer the workflow in max, seems easier and more productive. I recently bought a space navigator, which makes it so much easier to move around in perspective view, i love it. Haven't tested the new build with it yet, but i registered max and then opened it and it opened instantly, was pretty impressed, going to start making some new ice materials later.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You have 32bit Vista, right? Because they don't recognize the whole 4GB. The amount they do recognize varies, sometimes it's 3.5GB and other times it can be less. I'm guess that's the case with your computer.
I think he hit the nail on the head here - Vista does show the full 4GB in system properties but most programs only see thea ctual amount available. 2.5GB does seem oddly low though, but that's one of the things that depend on your system configuration. Microsoft does (since they're the kind type *sighs*) offer upgrades to 64-bit for mere $10 bucks though, or at least they used to. But just to make sure, you could download a Linux LiveCD (64-bit) and boot up just to see if it detects all the RAM, you could even tr a 32-bit Linux LiveCD as well just to see if the same limit appears there, if so, it's definitely tha fact that your OS is 32bit.

kookooshortman55

Do you know where I can get that upgrade to 64-bit if they still have it?!?! Haha for $10 why not, better than buying a whole new OS.