Want to upgrade my 8600gts (need help)

bondoron

I have a Dell Vostro 400 with an 8600gts. I want to do an upgrade, will I be able to use a 5670 or not. Also maybe someone has better ideas of what card to get? My specs are as follows:

Processor: [email protected]
RAM: 2GB
Windows Vista 32bit
PSU: 300 watts

CardboardSword

Well the AMD site recommends a 400w or greater PSU, and since you're running a Dell PSU, even if it was 400W I'd recommend an upgrade. Is your power supply proprietary? If its not then you should be able to get a new unit fairly easily. The 5670 is a good card for entry level, but I think the 5750 is a much better buy for only a little more. I've actually seen some 5670s going for more than 5750s.

bondoron

Well the AMD site recommends a 400w or greater PSU, and since you're running a Dell PSU, even if it was 400W I'd recommend an upgrade. Is your power supply proprietary? If its not then you should be able to get a new unit fairly easily. The 5670 is a good card for entry level, but I think the 5750 is a much better buy for only a little more. I've actually seen some 5670s going for more than 5750s.

The 5670 uses less watts than the 8600gts so I figured I should be ok with the psu. Maybe I am wrong?

CardboardSword

Well neither are high power draw cards, but I would never feel comfortable running a system with dedicated graphics on a 300w PSU, much less a Dell one. If you want you can go ahead and get it, but if you draw too much power from the card or CPU or any combination at one time you run the risk of overloading the PSU. The worst thing about that is when PSU's go, they take a lot with them.

Method9

My two questions are
1: Does the 5670 require a 6 pin connection from the power supply and does the Dell PS have this?
2: Will it be too long to fit inside the case?

EDIT: Looks like it doesn't require any other power connections and it is 170mm long.