Wanted: Dead/Old/Unused/Unwanted CPU for an experiment

linkin

VIP Member
I'm looking a free dead, unwanted or unneeded CPU of any kind (needs to have pins, so AMD or Pre-775 intel) for an experiment.

I plan to make one of these, and i have no dead or spare CPU's:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-Plate/

Preferably something that runs hot, so it keeps my coffee warm ;)

thanks guys.

Last edited:

theasian100

I have an AMD Athlon™ X2 6000+, not sure if its either the 125 or 95 version, I'd have to take the heatsink off to check, not sure if its dead though

ganzey

banned
i have an old pentium 3 700mhz, but im guessing shippiing would be a killer. it does work, looks like this

EDIT:its a celeron 700mhz, not a pentium 3

PentiumIII700S370.jpg

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
okay guys, probably gunna take the pentium 4 3ghz off of buzz, seeing as he's local. i suggest you guys go and make your own coffee warmers :p

Rit

You could do like 3-4 processors and put some sort of ball/bearing on the back so they contour to your body :p

bomberboysk

Yeah that looks good,Idealy you want a Prescott,They ran very hot. and should keep that drink warm lol....or start a fire.

If its USB powered dont expect much heat at all....

Also, the chips dont run very hot if all you do is solder to the power pins, as the chip is going to be idling and not running at full speed, nor will it create as much heat,

ganzey

banned
but even without load, wont a processor get up to like 300f without a heatsink? (if there was en external power supply)

bomberboysk

but even without load, wont a processor get up to like 300f without a heatsink? (if there was en external power supply)

No, because the processor wont draw much power at all. They arent meant to be heaters and wont act like one when not under load.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have two or three old processors at home if you want them.

I can ship them in two weeks when I go home.

linkin

VIP Member
I've already got one on the way guys, courtesy of buzz1927 :)

Let's discuss whether a USB port can power it or not.

If i cant get it to work i suppose i'll find another use for it.