WD Raptor?

Bob The Builder

Hey I am piecing together a build for a pc, so check this link and see if this is a good h/d to have for running vista premium/ultimate/32-64 bit/XP Pro(?) and other programs ( such as video editing software to burn dvd's with, while surfing the web, at the same time) and running an E8400/Q6600, and like a 8800GT, 2-4GB dual channel kit (suggestions?). I can get this h/d for $99 (locally):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011

and then get a WD 6400k for storage (photos, music, videos):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Also can you get an adaptor to go from pata to sata? Or is that like apples to oranges? Thanks for any help.

fortyways

banned
That 640GB drive actually outperforms the new Velociraptor in a lot of tests, and the Velociraptor (newer generation of the older Raptors, like the one you linked to) obviously outperforms the Raptor.

So I'd think it'd be fair to say the 640GB Caviar SE outperforms or performs on par with the Raptor, not to mention uses less power, has greater capacity, creates less heat and is quieter. I'd just run your OS off of that.

Bob The Builder

cache on hdd's

So I checked out the wd 640gb and it has 16mb of cache. Is this like virtual memory that the drive can access more quickly? So does that mean that the processor is what does the multitasking (video editing and burning dvd's and surfing the web-all at the same time!)? Does the video card have anything to do with multitasking? I may start playing some games like Unreal Tournament or games like that. Does the WD 640GB help with gaming at all? Where do I put the most money towards when building the pc?

Also, can you get an adaptor to go from e/ide to sata? Or is that like apples to oranges? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

fortyways

banned
I'm not sure about the technical explanation of the hard drive's cache; I just know it's a performance thing. What you said sounds pretty accurate. You'll want to wait for someone who knows a bit more to tell you about that.

Yes, your processor will have a greater effect on multitasking than your hard dive.

Yes, your video card also affects your multitasking, especially video editing.

No, your hard drive won't affect your gaming outside of load times. When a game is loading, it's loading the information you'll need from your hard drive to your RAM. From there on, it's accessed directly from your RAM and your hard drive no longer plays a role.

I do believe there are PATA to SATA adapters, but you'd probably be limited to PATA speed, and no modern motherboards are without SATA connectors anyway.

Alternatively, you can get a PCI card with SATA adapters.

Sheringan

That 640GB drive actually outperforms the new Velociraptor in a lot of tests, and the Velociraptor (newer generation of the older Raptors, like the one you linked to) obviously outperforms the Raptor.

So I'd think it'd be fair to say the 640GB Caviar SE outperforms or performs on par with the Raptor, not to mention uses less power, has greater capacity, creates less heat and is quieter. I'd just run your OS off of that.

Yeah you're right on that! That's what makes a big advantage over the other, the energy consumption...:rolleyes:

Bob The Builder

So then just skip the Raptor X and get the WD 640GB? Also, the reason I am asking about the e/ide to SATA adapter is to get the WD 640GB in SATA for my Pentium 800MHz machine now that is e/ide and then swap it into my new pc that will surely have SATA when I build that. Can this be done?

Last edited:

Bob The Builder

Yeah you're right on that! That's what makes a big advantage over the other, the energy consumption...:rolleyes:

Is this sarcasm or what? Are they really not that close in performance? Are the Raptors really loud? Would it be better to get both drives and use them as stated in OP? I'm going to have to do a little research to find a comparison in performance between the 2 different drives now. Anyone with experience with these drives should chime in.

fortyways

banned
If he is being sarcastic, he's wrong. His signature is spam; I doubt he's here to share his wealth of computer knowledge.

The new 640GB Caviar SE that you're looking at performs on par with the new Velociraptors and better than the Raptor X. The facts that it's cheaper, consumes less energy, is quieter and has a greater capacity, while not insignificant, are secondary.

As for using the drive with a motherboard without SATA ports, what about something like this?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124023

Last edited:

Bob The Builder

I guess I'll just run the WD 640GB on the new build. That RAID card looked kinda complicated with the driver issues reported in the reviews and all. Also might as well wait to build the new PC to get the WD 640GB. Maybe I'll pick up a 250GB IDE drive for now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144171

Seems like this would help me out for now. Maybe get a 256mb/pc133 stick to improve memory performance. Looks like I have more research to do on my build anyways. Thanks for the help!

Bob The Builder

Can I put the WD 640gb in an external case and use it through the USB 2.0 ports for doing the video editing? (I have asked this question before (not trying to spam!), but don't know where that thread is anymore. How do you track threads that I have posted in, so I know if there was a response to my post?)

AMD Fanboy

while the 640GB drive is no doubt fast, the Velociraptor is the FASTEST SATA Drive in exsistance to date. Maximum PC Magazine seems to think so anyhow

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/western_digital_velociraptor

Here's another Review:

http://www.storagereview.com/WD3000BLFS.sr

The Velociraptor is the fastest SATA Hard Drive out there right now. It's true that alot of 7200 RPM drives are putting out some pretty nice numbers, but I don't see those numbers matching or surpassing the Velociraptor.

Bob The Builder

Can I put the WD 640gb in an external case and use it through the USB 2.0 ports for doing the video editing? (I have asked this question before (not trying to spam!), but don't know where that thread is anymore. How do you track threads that I have posted in, so I know if there was a response to my post?)

No info/comment on the enclosure and the WD 640GB?

For what it's worth, I learned how to subscribe to threads now so I don't double post!

funkysnair

VIP Member
its ok man-i know what you where getting at, just i never said the samsung was better than anyone elses choices but if i was then you where right to ask for some evidence.

dont worry i wont hunt you down and put a flaming turd on your door step then knock!!!! or will i?

just was reading a computer magazine and it gave that drive a very good write up for performance and quiteness......

check the specs etc-they do a 500gig, 650,750 and 1tb