web design question

b4oba0

Hey guys,

I have a great idea for a website. It would require a log in for users and chat logs. so if i were to start a website, where and how would i start it. I understand I need to buy a domain name and such but what about servers that hold the log in information and the authentication of users during the log in. Is that in the code for the website. I am kind of new to this so please, any advice/ help would be much appreciated.

bvleb96

You would have databases that would hold all the user log in data. This database would be located on your web server. The most popular database program is MySQL. You would also need to know PHP. PHP is a programming language that communicates with the database amongst other things. PHP can add things to a database, such as a user name or password. It can search for things in the database, such as when a user logs in.

Nanobyte

If you are starting from scratch, you need a host first and foremost. I use Bluehost but there are many of them with varying costs and facilities. For a fee they give you server space and a bunch of tools and utilities, your login etc. You can get a domain name through your host. Alternatively you can get your domain name in advance from someone like GoDaddy (who I mention solely because they do the most advertising and you may know the name).

When you register your domain, you have to provide certain information that is publicly available. Most domain services allow you to be anonymous. You pay an extra annual fee for that and the public information becomes that of the service, not you.

To design a website, you need some basic html knowledge. Plenty of guides around the internet. Some hosts will already have packages in place so it's easy to set up sites like you described. You can find scripts (free and pay) for things like guestbooks, forums etc either at the host or on the internet. You might even find something that suits what you want to do.

I would suggest you start of with a very simple test site. Design some basic pages of html and upload so you can see how everything works (links, images, frames etc). Leave the complicated scripting until you get the big picture. It's quite easy to password protect your site so that you can play around with it, accessing from the internet to see if it works OK, and nobody else can access. Once you have your final product you can make accessible to all.

It's best to upload your pages using FTP so that's another thing you would need to look at. The host would have details on how to set that up. There are lots of FTP clients (including freeware FileZilla). You can also use the File Manager of the host. That may be a better option to begin with.

sshaggy

I would suggest using a CMS, like Joomla, or something similar to create your website. Since your website will be interacting with database, and I am assuming that you don't have PHP-MySQL knowledge, using a CMS plateform will be great for you, since you'll be able to avoid coding to get almost the same output in terms of functionality. There are Ajax chat plugins and scripts available which you can use to integrate the chat system into your system.

Regarding the secondary things, like domain and hosting, its a very easy concept. You'll have to buy a domain (Get a free one here). Then you'll have to point that domain to a hosting server. You can get a free hosting at x10hosting.com. To point the domain to host server, you'll need to enter nameservers in your domain control panel. After the nameserver is set, you can upload the website via FTP using filezilla or any similar client. The FTP details and the nameservers will be provided by the hosting server. This is fairly simple steps, and you can find a lots of tutorial on google. But as I said, these are secondary steps, and will not matter much if you are not building up the website in the first place.

Contact me if you have any further queries.

john tayler

well, 1stly you need to buy a domain name from sites like godaddy etc..then you have to buy a server from where your site will be operated and all the information will be directed. you can make your own comp. as a server but better you buy.