Western Digital or Seagate?

dannaswolcott

I would go with Seagate. WD is ok as well.... They both are fine to me, I use both brands in all my computers and no problems. I have had good luck with both.

dznutz

i was reading on newegg, about people having an issue with flashing newer seagate drives and then having them die. i don't remember the specifics, but i saw quite a few comments about it.

i'm not against Seagate, but i think right now they're probably a bad choice.

it's the 1.5tb drives.

when i inquired about my 1 year old 1tb drive they said there wasn't any need to flash the fw. this leads me to believe their 1.5 tb drives aren't as reliable as their older drives.

realmike15

it's the 1.5tb drives.

when i inquired about my 1 year old 1tb drive they said there wasn't any need to flash the fw. this leads me to believe their 1.5 tb drives aren't as reliable as their older drives.

good to know, honestly i have limited experience with Seagate, but if they can get back on track i'd be willing to take a chance with them as another alternative.

dannaswolcott

good to know, honestly i have limited experience with Seagate, but if they can get back on track i'd be willing to take a chance with them as another alternative.

I have been using seagate for a while now and I haven't had any problems with them.. I would give them a chance, I don't think you will regret it.

dznutz

i have the 1.5tb drive. so far so good. i read that the problem was with raid. i wouldn't reccommend raid using those drives.

the only problem i experienced was when running hdtune. for a couple of days the hdd would spin down then spin up randomly. it's almost as if the hdd shuts down then boots up and when doing so makes a loud spinning noise. note that this happened during and days AFTER running hddtune as well as multiple reboots/shutdowns. i thought it was going to die. but for some reason it stopped and has been running fine ever since. perhaps hddtune calibrates stuff even after shutdown???