What are skills a successful IT professional should have

JoeSamo

Just wondering from anyone who's in the field Im currently going to school for this and just want tips/pointers for what it takes to be really successful in this field. Thanks everyone!

quagmondo23

I am no pro... not even an amateur :p.

I'd just say learn as much as you can. Always be learning. Certifications and degrees help
I have no idea though... dont take my word

d3adpoetic

i finished my associates degree in network administration back in august. all i can say right now is make sure you have real world experience of some kind, as well as certifications. ive been holding off on taking my a+ cert. tests because of their cost and the randomness of the questions,i never feel like im really ready for it. i read through a 1200 page book about the tests. it detailed every part of the PC and went into the history and mechanics of them. it was very interesting actually.

personal self-taught experience wont get you very far at all, employers want to see degrees and certifications. im learning that the hard way. ive been into computers my whole life thinking my personal experience would get me at least a starting position but that seems to mean nothing because i dont have a piece of paper to prove what i can do so im not even considered.

now im starting to rant about my frustration in trying to find a job...haha...

bilbus

What do you want to do, and what can you do?

My path was to have a lab at home. I have 5 servers, 3 switches, 2 firewalls, and 10 virtual servers in my basement. This is across 3 subnets, and 3 Vlans.

Having a enterprise network in my home helps me learn.

If you are going the microsoft or cisco path ... learn and get a MCSA/MCSE or a CCNA