What card?..

Archangel

VIP Member
Well, I'm thinking about replacing my current cards with a single one. Obviously, it'd have to be faster than what I currently have. and with the Ati drivers having issues with WoW, I want an NVidia card this time.

The whole numbering of their current cards does confure me tough..
I've been looking at the 285 series card tough. (altough, I do find them to be a tad expensive tbh.)
so my question is,. would a 285 (was looking at the "Gigabyte GTX 285 CUDA - 1 GB - PCIe - TV+2xDVI" myself, since its the cheapest 285 over here.)

or would going with a Asus, or a XFX be a better choice? (the Asus TOP version is 'only' 20 euro's more)

basically, looking for some input/suggestions here.. I'm pretty lsot with NVidia and their numbers atm. :(

Archangel

VIP Member
stumbled across a nice looking 280 GTX (1gb) too. would this be much worse than the 285? (assumeing the 285 is better due to the higher number.. :s )

just a noob

go for a 285, i do beleive a gtx 260 would compete with the two 3870's you have in crossfire, though
edit: also, how much less is a gtx 275 than the 285? i hear those are about the same as a 285

Archangel

VIP Member
hmm... the 275's cost a LOT less than the 285's.. (225 euro's for a 275, and 325 for a 285.)
Do they perform pretty similair or so? (because then i'd obviously rather go for a 275 :) )

I hate this weird numbering. :(

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Save 50 dollars and get the 275. It's very close to the 285 in both specs and performance.

smoothjk

I would get the 275. And don't get a third 3870 like someone suggested...it's not much of a gain, and you're looking at a lot of wasted power.

just a noob

so long as you're not playing games on something that could use the extra ram(24" comes to mind) you'll be fine with the gtx 275

remixedcat

banned
good. you're going with NVIDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

drivers are much better and stabler. way to go!

and I like PINEAPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
so long as you're not playing games on something that could use the extra ram(24" comes to mind) you'll be fine with the gtx 275

I'm using 2 monitors at the moment, a 23" 1920x1080 and a 19" 1280x1024
So I gues I'm taking up a fair ammount of RAM of the cards.

No matter which you go for, they are all overkill for WoW, anyway. ;)

Not only playing WoW :p (just occasionally) but also stuff like Silent Hunter 4 and quite a lot of shooters, racing games and flight sims.

just a noob

you could always get something like a 9500gt and run the 19" moniter off of that, but if you could afford it, i would go for the gtx 285, because of the resolution you play at, but its your choice as to what you do