What do you guys know about Cluster Supercomputers?

Stildawn

I was reading up on Cluster supercomputers. Which are basically as many as possible single desktops combined together using high speed networking and cluster software.... One dude made a 34teraflop supercomputer. And I think the article was dated using old old hardware..

So does anyone know much about this? Would this be good for gaming or just number crunching?

Like if you say won lotto... Could you go out and buy say 10 top of the line i7 rigs and cluster them together (with special cooling system etc) and have just the most kick as gaming PC on the planet?

Your thoughts.

nerdyperdy

I have heard about it but don't know much about it...As for the gaming...In theory it's valid but would it be worth it...Or would you even be that big of an increase??Awesome idea though...I'd be interested in it.

~Nerd

bomberboysk

I was reading up on Cluster supercomputers. Which are basically as many as possible single desktops combined together using high speed networking and cluster software.... One dude made a 34teraflop supercomputer. And I think the article was dated using old old hardware..

So does anyone know much about this? Would this be good for gaming or just number crunching?

Like if you say won lotto... Could you go out and buy say 10 top of the line i7 rigs and cluster them together (with special cooling system etc) and have just the most kick as gaming PC on the planet?

Your thoughts.

Wouldnt work well as a gaming computer afaik...

Last edited:

Stildawn

I would be keen to know how efficient it is... like especially cause Im sure I could get my hands on at least ten desktops with Low end Athlon x2 and low end ish (say 7600) graphic cards for pretty cheap.. Less than 1000. And if that could be rigged with awesome affects who knows.

Stildawn

Arh looks like you cant run programs (such as games etc) as they wouldnt work in a script sent to the clusters (if I read it right)

Sucks lol oh well.

Stildawn

Whats a folding cluster?

haha I just have quite a few friends that are at the stage of wanting to upgrade... Most of the rigs I built myself back when we were hardout keen on LAN parties.. So they are all around 7600's etc.. And a hundred buck might just make them do a upgrade plus they would be interested in what I put together....

But not much point if it doesnt game.. I dont do anything that hard to require a supercomputer.

bomberboysk

Whats a folding cluster?

haha I just have quite a few friends that are at the stage of wanting to upgrade... Most of the rigs I built myself back when we were hardout keen on LAN parties.. So they are all around 7600's etc.. And a hundred buck might just make them do a upgrade plus they would be interested in what I put together....

But not much point if it doesnt game.. I dont do anything that hard to require a supercomputer.

Folding=Folding@Home:p But for gpu folding you need a cuda compatible card(8xxx minimum).