What do you use?

rmFL

What kind of security do you use?
Also, what do you recommend?
I'm thinking about getting F-Secure, not too sure though because I was also considering Kaspersky.

Also, what are the best security softwares for Win XP? I don't use XP, I just know someone who does and she's not good with computers. I've had to fix hers several times.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It really doesn't matter what progams you use, as someone that isn't educated on how to safely surf the web or not open any email from people they don't know. It's so easy to get infected anymore. The new AVG 2011 in my opinion is horrible now, it asks to reboot after every update. And you have to uninstall it every time you have to run combofix(very strong program necessary to run when other programs won't even find the infections.

I'm now trying Avast free edition and I like it so far, not bugging me to reboot but I haven't tried to see if combofix makes me uninstall it yet.

For someone that nots educated very well, I would recommend using a paid antivirus and malware programs such as Kaspersky and Malwarebytes.

ErnestHolmes

As johnb35 said, it's not really matters on which one you use. To be safe, choose the commonly used one.

For your friend, it's better to prevent viruses or spyware than getting infected. She don't have to be good in PC to prevent it. All it takes is just bit of common sense and little knowledge on the common way viruses infects PC. She can get know it all within few minutes through Google. :)

Twinbird24

I like avast, if you run combofix you can easily right click on the icon in the system tray and disable it temporarily to let combofix run.

User0one

Convince her not to use Internet Explorer, and use a safer Browser like Firefox. Also things like not opening Email attachments goes a long way to preventing problems.

I don't use any real time Antivirus protection, I just use safe Computing Habits, and that goes farther then installing a bunch of Security Software, that really doesn't work that well.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I don't use any security programs and I haven't gotten any sort of virus and/or spyware for years. Just exercise common sense while surfing the internet.