What exactly is special aBout eyefinity?

Sdot

Can't you aleady do a triple monitor setup using only windows. What is it that makes eyefinity special? I'm not 100% sure what it is.

ktec

Can't you aleady do a triple monitor setup using only windows. What is it that makes eyefinity special? I'm not 100% sure what it is.

I'm pretty sure you at least need a graphics card...:p
but iirc its the only way to get 3 monitors with a single card.

Rollo

Eyefinity, and Nvidia's Surround, are ways to play games spanned across 3 (or more) monitors.

For example, I'm gaming at 60X10 spanned across three 1080p monitors. This is a custom resolution that adds a little to three 19X10 monitors for the parts of the screen that would be occluded by bezels. Windows can't do that, you need the graphics drivers.

Aastii

VIP Member
Windows can run more than one monitor, and it can put them together so they "run into" each other, however it can not do this with full screen applications. You are able to have 1 full screen application per monitor using just Windows.

Eyefinity allows a full screen application to run across more than one monitor, meaning you can have full surround by angling the two side monitors slightly, making games more immersive, or you can make for a much larger screen at higher resolution by having each straight, which would make games look prettier, and films look better.

Imagine you have 3 32" each monitor is at 1920x1080. You could them monitors side by side to have it at 5760x1080 on a much larger screen

Sdot

okay thank you for the information, i just didn't understand it at first. looks like ive gotta save up some more money then, only got about 1000 dollars right now and on newegg each 30 inch monitor costs 1000 lol. thank you

Laquer Head

Every multiple monitor setup I've seen doesn't appeal to me since there is a frame in between the monitors and it never looks fluid.

I'd much rather use a large lcd panel 40",,,etc

NDSUTopGun

You can also use ATI's HydraGrid program on Catalyst Control Center to configure frames so you can efficiently and rapidly manage the size of windows...

Sdot

Every multiple monitor setup I've seen doesn't appeal to me since there is a frame in between the monitors and it never looks fluid.

I'd much rather use a large lcd panel 40",,,etc

Oh are you talking about that border around the monitor?

Laquer Head

Oh are you talking about that border around the monitor?

Yah,//

I know there are setups without the borders,,but im talking bout the vast majority of people that buy 3 monitors and stick em side by side...

That looks stupid

Aastii

VIP Member
Yah,//

I know there are setups without the borders,,but im talking bout the vast majority of people that buy 3 monitors and stick em side by side...

That looks stupid

And that is why you get an LED backlit screen. The bezels are much, much thinner so this isn't so much of a problem. And when used for gaming, you don't notice it

Rollo

Yah,//

That looks stupid

I used to think that way till I bought two more Samsung 2233RZs to go with the one NVIDIA gave me.

I liked that so much I bought three Acer GD235HZs.

It should be noted that I had a Dell 3007WFP-HC before either of these sets, and that has largely gathered dust since.

I think Toms Hardware said it best:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-stereoscopic-gaming,2672-10.html

Let’s start with what 3D Vision Surround does well. In games that are “3D Vision-ready,” the experience is as profound as going from a 2D VGA card to a 3D graphics accelerator. I BS you not.

Granted, Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround aren't as fun as 3d Vision Surround, but three monitors still trumps one.