What is a good entry jOb in the computer industry.

Aastii

VIP Member
1st line support analyst, but that is a pos job that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. The only alternative really is to work in a computer store, but that is more retail than a real IT related job

ETSA

It all depends on education, interest, and experience. Honestly, certifications are the way to go, experience goes a long way as well.

What education and job experience do you have?

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Working in alternate (something like newegg).
I assemble pc's, work in showroom, giving information and tips to buyers, working in the backstore,...
Learning much and it's really nice to do. (Holliday job)
It's not difficult to get in there though

CrazyMike

I like repairing computers like swaping out hard drives is there still need for that kind of job?

Depending on location; I could probably give you a job with IT department. There's also hires for software development. It's in the Detroit, Michigan area though.

Aastii

VIP Member
Ofc there is a need for it, but you don't just walk into a job and expect people to tell you this is the problem, this is how to fix it, do it. You are the guy that does that ffor the person using the computer.

If their network printer isn't being seen by by anyone in the office, even though it is switched on, has paper and ink and they were previously connected yesterday, what do you do?

You are going to roll out upgrades across the company to go from XP to 7. Do you know the best practices? How to use imagex and dism? How to install from a network if necessary, how to join the systems to the network and how to troubleshoot when you get 100calls in one afternoon because the paper pushers don't know how to use their new OS and are used to their old one.

Even if you went into a computer repair store, do you know how to troubleshoot problems, how to recover data or backup a failing drive, how to clear out a virus infested system whilst leaving everything else intact, could you give advice for setting up a users network without being sat there, looking at the screen?

Even an entry job requires knowledge about a lot of different areas and you will still be expected to have a good grasp of these things. You wont get full training, they expect you to have already done 99% of this through certifications or degrees

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
That can still help, customer service experience and all that

Yes, any experience is good experience, but if I were the employer I would sooner take the guy that knows how the systems work than the guy that served some people and knows how to read names and numbers off a box.

Working in a store teaches you zero about how to work in an IT department apart from how to hold a mouse and keyboard. You will have far more networking and permissions related issues than you ever will hardware or local software, because everything will be running server side instead of locally, with all major settings centralised, so everything SHOULD be running the same. In a computer store, you are not exposed to this, you may as well be coming from shelf stacking, you will have the same level of relative experience